talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Lee Valley Magnetic Mount Workl Light

Loaded 3 AA batteries in my new lights today and gave them a try. They come with two magnetic mounts; a very strong round one on the base, which can be unscrewed and removed, and a rectangular one on the side-mount clip. I also ordered one each of the bench mount plates, 20mm & 3/4".

I can see that these will be very useful in my dimly lit garage studio. The beam can be focused from narrow to wide, depending on the situation. I can't wait to get them home & try them out!

Attached Thumbnails
lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-2737708413.jpg   lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-4234209416.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Lee Valley Magnetic Mount Workl Light

Please post photos when you try them on your machinery. I have been looking at these also, for my dim garage/studio.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM

...I've ordered one as well, including the mount.
I may have to grab a few more to put permanently in certain spots.
Can't wait...onya Lee Valley.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:02 PM

I ordered them the morning they got released. I've got them already, and can say I like them well so far. I had one of them put to use within a minute of opening the box. Stuck it to the lathe bed and could see the inside of a bowl better than any other contraption I've had so far.
Pretty handy, and a great price.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

I have two of them. One is presently on my bandsaw - it's an amazing help for seeing the line when cutting. The other is attached to one of the 20 mm studs and plate, and is on my MFT. It'll be great for routing and sawing.

They're really well made items. Well worth the money!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

I played with my two around the shop this evening. I bought both bench plates as I have an MFT and a bench w/3/4" holes. It is also great on the JMPv2, but you must have the steel stand fo it to stick to. A nice touch is that the 20mm post has a groove turned in it so it can be easily distinguished from the 3/4" version.
Attached Thumbnails
lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-726498032.jpg   lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-3325170168.jpg   lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-2518406713.jpg   lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-1248121681.jpg   lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-3333171253.jpg  

lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-573125754.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

I also found that when stuck to the handle of a Calphalon pot hanging on the pantry wall, the selection of refreshments is lots easier.

I just keep finding more uses for this all the time! I showed it to my BIL who installs precision agricultural systems on tractors & combines and he may get some to use in his business.
Attached Thumbnails
lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-image-2372483818.jpg  

Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Woohoo! ...and Lee Valley free-shipping is on! Good recommendations so I'll take 2 even though my shop is lit like the sun.

I'm eager to see the head unit of the lamp to see what to make to attach a GoPro camera to it. My current adjustable arm thingy is very short. ...that came out wrong.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I also found that when stuck to the handle of a Calphalon pot hanging on the pantry wall, the selection of refreshments is lots easier.

I just keep finding more uses for this all the time! I showed it to my BIL who installs precision agricultural systems on tractors & combines and he may get some to use in his business.
Alex, pantry wall?! Who are you kidding? We all know that's the shelf over the sandpaper in your shop!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Thought I'd add to this thread the similar LED light I found at and picked up from IKEA this week.

It hasn't a magnetic base, rather a combo clip & suction cup (two small ones on both top and bottom). I have it attached to the non-magnetic part of my router table.

Here it is on Amazon: Amazon.com: Ikea Janso Clamp Energy Saving Led...Amazon.com: Ikea Janso Clamp Energy Saving Led...
and, from the web, a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
lee-valley-magnetic-mount-workl-light-3145apxqbsl.jpg