talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Router Boss or Wood Rat?

Hi folks,

At the WIA, I saw the Router Boss, and just watched the DVD. it looks like it would be a nice tool to have. I know the Wood Rat is similar as well. Does anyone own either of these and have an opinion on them?

Thanks,
Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Router Boss or Wood Rat?

The router boss does look like a cheeky copy of the wood rat.
I've never used one, but know there's a bit of a learning curve to get over before you can really start to use them well.
I think, after spending time learning how to use one well, they can be an awesome jig, unlike anything else. Lots of potential.
I'd really like to have one to play around with.
As for which one is better, they look so similar. The woodrat is the original, I'm pretty sure of that, so I'd go for the woodrat. And I like the name better also
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 AM

Woodrat is an original, but RB is more sophisticated, precise machine.
Ed.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

newinwood!

I saw the Router Boss at WIA and it is quite a capable jig. One of the things buyers need to know, is that you must print out a gauge strip from a computer to stick on the machine for maximum accuracy. This eliminates the multiple trial & error method of fine tuning that we are used to with Leigh jigs, dado stacks & etc.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 PM

I am using electronic scale which you can order as an option with RB. It is very precise and absolutely repeatable ( if you write down numbers you using).
Bad side of RB or WR - not much info on the net. On RB forum - just a few members and all thread very old. Not too many people using these device.
I'm a weekend ww and not in time restrain to do any projects - I can spent a few hours playing with RB to learn how to do something. Obviously this device not for production shop.
Ed.