talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM

Default The table saw dilemma

Hello,

Here is another take on the traditionnal thread that one may find on many forums: "with a track saw and a MFT/3, what's the use for a table saw?".

I'd like to ask it another way:

I have a track saw + MFT/3 *and* a bandsaw. On the MFT/3, I may use my MFS components as a vernier or a story stick (the Jerry Work way) and I also have the Incra LS System. I mainly use it with my router table but, sometimes, it may be helpful with the guide rail.

So, the question is: what kind of work would be impossible or at least cumbersome and overwhelmy time consuming with these two saws (plunge saw and band saw) and would require a table saw to get the job done.

Full disclosure (lol): I long badly for a table saw like the Felder K 700 Pro. But, apart of the expensive price tag, I'm not sure it would fit in my tiny shop. So, I try to convince myself that with a track saw + bandsaw, I may live without it until I find a way to get in a slightly bigger shop :-)

Your reflexions and comments would be appreciated...

best regards,

- plouf -
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:44 PM

Default Re: The table saw dilemma

I am also interested in this topic. Looking forward to see people opinions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

I do just fine without a table saw.

That being said, if I were building furniture professionally, I'd get a table saw in a heartbeat. You can joinery much faster, and just as accurately with a table saw than with MFTs, track saws, routers and band saws. And for a professional, time is of the essence.

But for me it doesn't matter. And I like the space the table saw doesn't take up.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:17 AM

Festool is designed for its portability. Whether that means taking your tools on site everyday or clearing a space in the garage for the car at the end of the day.
If all your work is in the shop, and you have space, a tablesaw is best.
Ask any furniture maker and they will say the tablesaw is the foundation of their shop, whether that be a felder/altendorf slider, a Delta Unisaw, powermatic, saw stop, etc etc.. A tablesaw with a decent fence and guards is a very accurate, powerful and safe machine. Rips and crosscuts can be made safely, fast, accurately and repeatable. Same with angle and compound cuts. The jigs that can be made or bought for a tablesaw to aid in safety, accuracy and joinery cuts are only limited to your imagination.
A wide range of blades from rip, crosscut, veneer, combination, thin kerf, dado.. There's even sanding disks that replace the blade.
Router tables can be mounted to utilise the saws flat table and fence system, saving floor space.
Most saws can be fitted with a mobile kit allowing them to be rolled in the shop
The list of advantages are endless.

Last edited by Okami; 08-08-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 AM

As Potosan mentioned, you can get many tasks done with a tracksaw, and if you're in no rush it can be done.
In solid woods, festools tracksaws lack power..period.
Cutting thick hardwood is a headache, and narrow stock is too.
With the price of a tracksaw, a few different tracks and accessories, plus the MFT, you could buy a very nice tablesaw.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

But a tablesaw's blade points up and cuts fingers off. The tracksaw's blade is buried, and is that tiny bit safer - which I like. Plus, no kickback (though it can sure kick forward!).
Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 AM

If you were worried that you are going to put your hand through the blade you'd buy a sawstop.. A well set up tablesaw with a competent user is very very safe. With the right guards in place, you'd have to be a fool to cut your fingers off the same as using a tracksaw wrong causing it to jump, that could be just as dangerous.
With riving knives from Europe now becoming popular on all tablesaws and good blade guards, kickback is growing more and more unlikely.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 AM

I'd say a jointer is more dangerous than tablesaw, especially the ones with those "pork chop" guards
Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 AM

I like having a table saw in addition to an MFT/3 and TS75. It really is very convenient. It's only a 1.75 HP Grizzly but it serves its purpose. I use it for ripping thin stock, ripping a bunch of pieces to the same length, joinery using a dado blade and when you add a sled and a miter gauge it becomes even more useful.
There are a lot of tables saw in between no table saw and a Felder K 700. I think someone suggested a Sawstop, which may be a nice compromise.

My shop is only 3/4 of a 1 car garage, it gets tight but I make it work. The MFT comes in very handy when I need an extra horizontal surface.

James
Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 AM

Hi james,

I agree that there are many models in between. But for now, place is really an issue. Except if I redesign my tiny space for absolute mobility for the MFT/3, the router table, the bandsaw and the jointer every time i want to use each of them. I mean moving them each time on casters.

Maybe this extreme in-shop swapping would be a solution. But I havn't found a way to do it smoothly. That's why I wonder how far one can go without a table saw.

Another point, by the way: I'm not sure at all I can get a Sawstop in Europe.

Regards,

- plouf -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaichel View Post
There are a lot of tables saw in between no table saw and a Felder K 700. I think someone suggested a Sawstop, which may be a nice compromise.