talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Default Wheeled cart for A3-31

I finally have finished my wheeled cart for my A3-31. One 2x6 and a portion of the plywood that was part of the delivery pallet. The wheel lifts came from Rockler.
Attached Thumbnails
wheeled-cart-a3-31-a3-31-wheel-cart.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Wheeled cart for A3-31

Some day I will figure out how to post things upright!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM

I am thinking about one of these and this would be my first "big" piece of woodworking equipment, at least one that would require help to maneuver due to its significant weight. Did you need assistance getting it onto your cart or were you able to sort of build it around the machine while on the pallet?

I spoke with one of their sales reps about a week ago and they can deliver it and set it up for me but the price is between $1000 and $1500. I would also like to avoid any issues with a malfunctioning on delivery machine and the associated problems that would entail so that is another vote on getting them to do it.

I would like to either go with the mobility kit or do something like yours but I'm not sure how much I could do without any help. What do you think?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Steve,
I placed the machine on another pallett I had while I made the rolling cart. I re-purposed the thick plywood that the machine was shipped on and added some 2x6 sides. When the cart was finished I placed it on the floor next to the pallett and "walked" the machine into the cart. A friend helped me, we used a 2x6 as a lever to help move each time. Moving was much easier than I expected. The whole thing is very heavy and I don't even lock down the wheels unless I am doing some very heavy planning. I have no wheels on the working side of the machine.

I was not a fan of the mobility kit, It just seemed to tilt the machine the wrong direction. I have a mobility kit for my MM16 band saw and it works well enough but the small wheels are difficult to move.

I am not sure what the add on cost is for commissioning, my shipping was about 700 to Oregon. Set up was pretty easy and I am not sure the extra $$ would have been worth it for me. If my ship ever comes in and I can get a sliding table saw I may pay for the commissioning.

Good luck

Mark
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM

Thanks Mark

I'll see what the company can do for me. I like your solution for sure and it looks more useful than the official hammer version.

Steve
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM

FWIW, have the mobility kit, love it. I never notice any tilt, and the thing works well enough half the time I don't even use the handle. I just pull or push it where I want it.
Getting it off the pallet is probably a lot easier than putting it on was for them.
I wouldn't pay for setup. It literally is: install plug end, tighten fence, hit start.
For putting the wheels on, you absolutely want a prybar. Maybe a good friend with a prybar. Avoid spouses with prybars though, law of unintended consequences and all. Lifting the thing, rather than sliding it, huge difference. I'm never doing it again. (x fingers x)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Lifting the thing, rather than sliding it, huge difference. I'm never doing it again. (x fingers x)
I understand. I'm not crazy about doing it the first time.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 AM

Well, if it's any consolation, you can do what I did.
Take an inventory of all your current friends.
Find 3 who you'd be okay if they quit talking to you.
Have them help.

Of course, I only had 3 to begin with, so now I'm basically hosed if I ever buy anything else heavy.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Well, if it's any consolation, you can do what I did.
Take an inventory of all your current friends.
Find 3 who you'd be okay if they quit talking to you.
Have them help.

Of course, I only had 3 to begin with, so now I'm basically hosed if I ever buy anything else heavy.
I had already looked into how they moved those giant tiki heads around easter island. Your plan sounds better. I like it.