talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Default Moving the Big Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post

Now you've got no excuse not to make something! Let's see a project, John!
Chris, unfortunately my JMP won't be much help for my current project.

I'm building a homemade gantry crane to lift some of my machines off their pallets and place them into tight spots. My Kapex and T15+3 will likely be doing most of the work.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:47 AM

Default Re: So How's Your New JMP Precision Fence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Chris, unfortunately my JMP won't be much help for my current project.

I'm building a homemade gantry crane to lift some of my machines off their pallets and place them into tight spots. My Kapex and T15+3 will likely be doing most of the work.

John,

A homemade gantry?
Why so low tech?
I think something like this would suit u better!

mechanical parking system PSH - YouTube

here's the German version.
Just imagine your Festool Boxes in place of the Porshe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 AM

John,
I think Roger is on to something here!

Just imagine with a push of a few buttons your woodworking machines go to storage and your metalworking machines replace them!

Of course, you might have to add a couple more bays to your shop....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Good thinking, Jesse. Those mobile bases with casters just seem so primitive.

I'm reminded of the puzzle Rush Hour.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post

A homemade gantry?
Why so low tech?
I think something like this would suit u better!
That's pretty cool, Roger. I never thought of putting my machines away when I'm not using them.

Of course all the machines would need to have wheels, and they don't.

Here's the problem, many of my machines have arrived fastened to pallets, large heavy duty pallets. What is the best way to lift a 2200 lb. machine off a six inch high pallet and set it on the floor close to a wall? A fork lift won't work because there's no way to get the forks under the machines. A boom crane won't work because it would have to be too large for the tight spaces to prevent tipping under the heavy loads.

I'm already working on the gantry crane, but I'm open to any other suggestions. Keep in mind that the the ceiling clearance in my machine shop area is only 95". My Bridgeport is 82" tall and currenly sitting on a 6" high pallet.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

I'm already working on the gantry crane, but I'm open to any other suggestions. Keep in mind that the the ceiling clearance in my machine shop area is only 95". My Bridgeport is 82" tall and currenly sitting on a 6" high pallet.

Build a 6" high subfloor around all of the pallets?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM

John, my electrical system's batteries each weigh 550 lbs, and I have 16 of them. I stacked them in two columns of eight. Now, I may be pretty strong, but bench pressing the upper guys onto the stacks was a leeeetle too much....

so I built a gantry out of 4 x 4s thus (dimensions very approximate):

*two pairs each with 8' high 4x4s straddled with one 8' long 4x4, and 45 bracings off those top corners. They also received 45 braces on their bases, jutting into the room.

*The battery room is 10' wide, so each of these pairs is against opposite walls, and atop them, thus straddling the room, I affixed the rails on which my chain hoist rolls. What I had to use were two lengths of 4 x 3 square tube steel, but other material would work, too, as long as the hoist could roll on it.

In the interest of showing a pic, as I never am able to upload any, I've sent to Fred and Paul-Marcel a lousy shot showing same - perhaps one of them would be gracious enough to post it here. If so, you'll see I have the hoist rolling ON TOP of the rails. It was easier to set it up that way, plus the stacks' heights didn't permit clearance for the hoist given that the 4x4s were just eight-footers.

I have kept that gantry assembled there, just in case I ever need to sling the batteries again. Hope it gives you some ideas.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Moving the Big Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeCityMike View Post

Build a 6" high subfloor around all of the pallets?
Good idea, Michael, except that I'd have to remove the light fixures to keep from banging my head.

And Randy woudn't be allowed in the room at all.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post

I have kept that gantry assembled there, just in case I ever need to sling the batteries again. Hope it gives you some ideas.
It does, Audie, thanks for the input.

Your description sounds similar to what I'm planning, I'd really like to see a photo.

I've already purchased a chain hoist, two ton capacity with a headroom of 18". To keep to a total clearance of 95" for the crane, and still have enough lift, I'm planning on hanging the hoist on a 1" steel rod mounted between 2 4"x6" cross beams.

I'm not an engineer, so I'll probably wind up over-building the gantry. I have nightmares about getting one of these machine off the floor and having the whole thing collapse.

Of no help at all was recently seeing a disturbing thread in a machinist's forum where a guy was trying to move his Harding lathe and it tipped over on him. He apparently laid there for a while with a pinned, crushed leg before anyone came by to rescue him. He was posting from his hospital bed, where he planned to be for several weeks. Surprisingly, his main concern seemed to be getting someone to go by his shop to possibly get the machine uprighted, and assess the damage.

These machines may be heavily built, but even a small fall can cause costly damage to them (and their owners). I know my Hardinge weighs about 2000 lbs., and it is extremely top heavy. I can't imagine watching it take a tumble, especially if it was tumbling on me.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Moving the Big Stuff

The REAL way to build a gantry is to weld the entire out of good (2"-3") tubular, and on suitably-sized lockable wheels.

If you don't want to wait for Fred or P-M to post that photo, send an email to me at cabinsATdenalihwyDOTcom and I'll zap you a few right away.

I'm not sure 1" rod has the strength you need, by the way. Not at all.

On edit - I see it is 4 x 6s that are the cross-beams, and the 1" rod thus would only be 6-12" long. That should be more than fine....but how are you rolling the hoist on 4X6s???? I had some strips of HMWP atop my 4 x 4s, so that the steel cross-beams could be slid to align properly with each stack of batteries. If you could position something like that that your rollers would glide along, it could work. Else strips of band steel???

Last edited by AlaskaRanger; 12-08-2012 at 10:28 PM.