talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Moving the Big Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post

I'd leave the plane idling for that one- it would be safely on the floor before they could empty the planes toilet.
And you'd no doubt be flying back "sans testes".

Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Take your lesson from ΑΡΧΙΜΗΔΗΣ:

ΠΑ ΒΩ ΚΑΙ ΧΑΡΙΣΤΙΩΝΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΗΣΩ ΠΑΣΑΝ

It worked on Syracusan ships....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post

Take your lesson from ΑΡΧΙΜΗΔΗΣ:

ΠΑ ΒΩ ΚΑΙ ΧΑΡΙΣΤΙΩΝΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΗΣΩ ΠΑΣΑΝ

It worked on Syracusan ships....
No room to move a lever of the size I would need.

That's the challenge, lifting and moving big, heavy items in a relatively confined space.

It may be that flying Rutager out here is my only option.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM

By the way, have you a Porta-power? May or may not be useful for this particular exercise, but it also is a tool hat is absolutely terrific for persuading motion in all sorts of circumstances. I make use of its mini "Jaws Of Life"-style head all the time.

Mine is a knock-off from Northern Tools or Harbor Freight; works just fine and cost me less than $150, I believe. Am pretty sure they snuck under the name-brand by calling it a "Porta-Puller", which makes no sense....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Wait - I've got the name wrong. "Porta-puller" is a hand winch - great stuff, too. Here is what I have, and it is indeed from Horror Fright:

Portable Hydraulic Body Puller Kit

at $99.99 right now, it's a great deal....
Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Most machines like forklifts have a "margin of idiot" built in, so you may be able to lift 2,200#s, if you park the forklift right against the machine, hold the back of the forklift down after spending four hours at a buffet and letting someone else (Rutager ) pull out the pallet and roll in the pipes.

My New Holland LS170 is only rated for 1,475 with the counter weight kit, but I have lifted pallets off a truck that weigh a little over 2,000#s, very carefully, and always on a level or uphill pick.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

Most machines like forklifts have a "margin of idiot" built in, so you may be able to lift 2,200#s, if you park the forklift right against the machine ...
Alex, my forklift is a "fork over" pallet stacker, which means the forks are not adjustable and the front legs are always under them. It's not possible to get the forklift right against the machine.

The advantages of a fork over are that it is slim and will spin in a 360 circle, which is great for moving around in tight spaces. A disadvantage is that it is not as versatile as a "straddler" with adjustable forks.

Mine does 90% of what I need it for, and I don't think I could now learn to live without it. For the jobs it won't do I just have to figure out another way.

Here's a photo of me moving the very heavy and bulky sliding table for my Felder (still safely packed in its shipping box )

Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I guess I forgot about those "feet" sticking out of the front. Does one of your neighbors have a forklift you could borrow or machine hire for a few hours?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 AM

John,
Whatever you come up with, we're hoping to see a video or at least lots of stills. This is one cool thread!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 AM

John,

The biggest problem with flying me out, is that I might not leave- we just had a 13" dumping of snow Sunday.

-Rutager