talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Default Sliding table saw?

Do you experts agree that a european style sliding table saw is always better than a traditional cabinet saw? Is it just a matter of personal preference or is a particular type of work better suited to one style or the other - is budget the primary constraint?
Thanks always for your sage advice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Sliding table saw?

Paul, You toy with me.... This is one of my wildest dreams. If I ever have a real shop, not a shared garage, I will have a sliding saw.

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 PM

I was told by the Sawstop customer service people that they are planning a sliding table saw - hmmm, ... no ETA yet
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I've been told there are aftermarket solutions. Call Jesse at Eagle Tool and check with him.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the referral, Jesse is a good guy, told me about the General sliding table attachments.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I was told by the Sawstop customer service people that they are planning a sliding table saw - hmmm, ... no ETA yet
Earlier this year, I asked SawStop about it and I think they said they hoped to have it available by the end of this year. That was a year ago, so things may have changed since then. I believe it will take a 12" blade, and if they only offer one model, I'd be a safe bet that it will be at least a 9' slide.

I switched from a contractor's saw to a 5' sliding table saw and there is no way I'd go back. You can find my blog articles involving my slider here.

If you only want a slider for use with plywood, I think that a siding table attachment for a regular saw is a feasible option. But it's not the same, and I would never consider one for the work I do (I use mostly solid wood). I use the long sliding table for straight-line-ripping and all kinds of jigs. The cam-action hold downs are amazing and make operation much safer.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Chris has a good point, you don't want an add on slider, as they are too far away from the blade. You need a saw that was designed with the slide right up to the blade to get the most benefit in a hobby type shop.

Rutager
Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post
I switched from a contractor's saw to a 5' sliding table saw and there is no way I'd go back. You can find my blog articles involving my slider here.

If you only want a slider for use with plywood, I think that a siding table attachment for a regular saw is a feasible option. But it's not the same, and I would never consider one for the work I do (I use mostly solid wood). I use the long sliding table for straight-line-ripping and all kinds of jigs. The cam-action hold downs are amazing and make operation much safer.
Chris - I watched your video - looks great - what saw is that? I use solid wood more than sheet goods - I think a small slider may be the way to go, but haven't decided yet.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Hi Paul,

It's Grizzly G0623X. The cam-action hold down is from one of their larger saws.

Chris
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM

How do you rate the quality? Do you think that a Felder would be worth all the extra $$$?