talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Northfield #4 tablesaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Here, one sheet of quality melamine 0.9mm thick is only enough to do one side. One sheet here is 3x6ft. It's about $70 a sheet. I can't find a lesser quality backer. What if I sealer the back with something and then framed it?
I could save a few $$ by using a contact cement, as I wouldn't need to buy two sheets of board to sandwich the glue-up in the vacuum press.
Quote:
Thanks, John!
Does MDF have a good holding strength for screws, as the frame would be screwed to the bottom. I think I remember hearing it's weak, but maybe particle board is worse?
It looks like Michael and I are saying essentially the same thing. If the MDF is well supported by a frame there is no need to laminate both sides. And as far as I know, contact cement is the standard method of laminating with Formica.

No, MDF does not hold screws all that well. I glued my MDF to the frame, using just enough screws to hold it in place while the glue dried. It lasted for twenty years without a problem, and as far as I know it is still going strong.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
It looks like Michael and I are saying essentially the same thing. If the MDF is well supported by a frame there is no need to laminate both sides. And as far as I know, contact cement is the standard method of laminating with Formica.

No, MDF does not hold screws all that well. I glued my MDF to the frame, using just enough screws to hold it in place while the glue dried. It lasted for twenty years without a problem, and as far as I know it is still going strong.

Sounds like a good plan, John!
What did you use for the frame? The Biesemeyer instruction manual says use a "semi hardwood" maybe poplar comes into that category, I've got a couple of boards of that in the shop
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Sounds like a good plan, John!
What did you use for the frame? The Biesemeyer instruction manual says use a "semi hardwood" maybe poplar comes into that category, I've got a couple of boards of that in the shop.
As I recall, I used white oak, but I think poplar would do just fine.

Here's a photo of the laminate roller ( called a "J Roller") that I was referring to:

Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM

Thanks, John!
I have no idea why it was recommended to use a "semi hardwood".
I'll do as you did, glue it down, with screws in lightly to hold it in place.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I would build the sub-frame and screw through the MDF to the frame before applying the laminate, rather than the other way around. Screws into 3/4" melamine would not hold well unless cross dowels (or dominos) are there to grab the screws.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

I would build the sub-frame and screw through the MDF to the frame before applying the laminate, rather than the other way around.
Actually, that's what I did, Alex. Countersunk screws through the MDF into the frame. But only a few. The glue was what really held it all together.

As I recall, I built the frame in place, clamping the two sides to the Biesemeyer rails and then fitting the cross pieces.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Actually, that's what I did, Alex. Countersunk screws through the MDF into the frame. But only a few. The glue was what really held it all together.

As I recall, I built the frame in place, clamping the two sides to the Biesemeyer rails and then fitting the cross pieces.

Great minds think alike!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 08-21-2013, 12:34 AM

That's a very good idea
The bonus is, if the mdf has a slight bow, the frame will take care of it before the laminate goes on. It makes sense to have it dead flat before laminating, and screwing through the mdf and into the frame will give a good strong hold.
Thanks guys, that's great advice!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:02 PM

Okami - any video or pictures of the beautiful, fully restored beast in action?

Maybe you have been having too much fun on that dirtbike, I am looking forward to a ride myself after the snow melts.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 AM

You're right, Paul, I've been having way too much fun with that old two stroke dirt bike..I'm actually taking it out to a dirt track tomorrow.
The beastly Northfield #4 is operational, and happily chewing through any lumber I put in front of it shamefully, I haven't got the extension side wing installed yet.. I keep getting distracted with making furniture and other restoration projects I'll have to get it done soon and post some fresh photos of the beast
Cheers!