talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Northfield #4 tablesaw

Northfield can set you up with a nice cast iron table extension- I got a shipping quote; arm and a leg!!

Melamine or MDF with laminate on it will work great.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
The top is on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skgrFTu6KTI

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not New Jersey!
Hallelujah indeed I took that top of last year before I moved house and workshop. That must almost be a year ago geez... I'll give John a run for his money eh
The floor is a little uneven under the saw. I won't keep it on the wooden bearers (too high). I might skim over that area to try flatten it out a bit. The whole shop floor needs doing really.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Northfield can set you up with a nice cast iron table extension- I got a shipping quote; arm and a leg!!

Melamine or MDF with laminate on it will work great.
Yeah I've seen those Northfield cast iron extensions. They look superb, but as you said, crazy shipping and I'm pretty sure I have the only Northfield saw in Japan, so there's no old parts laying around here
I think a laminate top would work fine once I brace the bottom with a wooden frame
Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Oh, man - that's stunning! That's going to be so gorgeous sitting in your shop. Now you need to give everything else a matching paint job!
Thanks Potosan! This Northfield saw has truly been a pleasure to work on! It's a fine saw, a special saw I've never restored a machine before, but couldn't turn down the opportunity to have a go at it, and maybe have a great saw at the end.
Give everything a matching paint job? What I really need to do is get the shop insulated and boarded over before the winter comes. This past winter battered my cast iron machines through lack of insulation.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:00 AM

The Biesemeyer commercial fence system install begins
The rail fits nicely! Although I will need to move the on/off switch out more
Attached Thumbnails
northfield-4-tablesaw-image.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 AM

Drilling out the holes
Attached Thumbnails
northfield-4-tablesaw-image.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Because of the tops thick casting, the provided threaded screws weren't long enough. I went to get some longer ones and after that everything went smoothly

I haven't lined up the fence yet, but I can see its already really close when I line it up next to the miter slot that's where getting the top professionally squared has paid off. I'll also have to take the front fence guide tube off when I install the extension, so I have access to the holes in the rail, but that's no problem.
Thanks again everyone for Your generosity in getting this excellent fence system to me
It's really starting to look like a saw again
Attached Thumbnails
northfield-4-tablesaw-img_0483-1-.jpg   northfield-4-tablesaw-img_0478-1-.jpg   northfield-4-tablesaw-img_0479-1-.jpg   northfield-4-tablesaw-img_0482-1-.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Looking great Okami!

I don't know the story of the fence but it should work very nicely, just soften the edges of the dado slot where the fence's glide pad passes across.

You mentioned the floor is soft. What is the floor made of there? I can't identify that texture.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Beautiful work! This is turning out so much better than I had even imagined.

Watching it all come together has been great fun.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Looking great Okami!

I don't know the story of the fence but it should work very nicely, just soften the edges of the dado slot where the fence's glide pad passes across.

You mentioned the floor is soft. What is the floor made of there? I can't identify that texture.
Thanks for the tip on softening the edge of the miter slot!
The floor isn't soft, it's concrete..but it is uneven and in need of flattening over. That's something else I want to get done in the shop. I've hardly done anything since moving in.