talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Northfield #4 tablesaw

You're getting applause all the way from the flatlands out here. Cool. Glad you shared.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
You're off to see the Wizard.... The machining wizards apparently..
Nice shop too.
What make is your little, but very handy truck? You don't see many drop gates like that around here as a body style.
Yeah, these guys know their stuff when it comes to machining
My old truck is a twenty year old Daihatsu Hijet, I believe Daihatsu are a branch of Toyota.
It may look old, but this truck has never let me down, it's been the most reliable motor I've had.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
What a clean floor at the machine shop. Are you certain that they actually remove metal there? I'm used to seeing chips everywhere.
It was very clean for the amount of machinery they are running. I guess they must spent the last hour of the day cleaning. Usually in Japan the cleaning gets done after working hours, and you don't get paid for it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
What fun! Looks like you made some great new friends. Are they interested in plane-making?
It was fun, and I was fortunate to have been introduced to such nice people
I might take my (your old) bridge city plane for them to have a look at when I return to collect the top. I'm sure they'll be very interested to have a look, but doubt they'll be breaking the Japanese tradition of wooden kanna I wish they would
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 AM

I also went to visit my furniture maker friend that lives in the area. I was so excited to see what he's been making, that I forgot to take even one photo
He's currently making eight chairs and a table from solid teak..very nice
He showed me some photos of projects he's completed since we last met. There was a beautiful round faced cabinet in birds eye maple. While asking him about the process of making the curved doors and drawer faces he mentioned he has a vacuum press sent to him from his friend in America, and that he doesn't use it (he has a huge industrial steel press). He then brought it out and said, here take it back to your shop and use it for a year or so. I said what! Are you serious? He said yes, it's just sitting here collecting dust, make some use of it for a while wow! What a day eh! I now have to learn about vacuum presses and make a base for it.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome!!! I've been musing on the idea of getting into vacuum pressing. It gives you so much versatility in making interesting curves and shapes.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 AM

Okamisan, you are truly fortunate to have so many friends and supporters.

The vacuum press can fundamentally change the way you work. Most truly wonderful wood today is made into veneer, so you can use much better wood than anyone can afford as dimensional lumber.

I am making a bow front dresser this summer. I use the vacuum press to make the drawer fronts. Many challenges, but I hope the eventual result will be nice. I can afford quarter sawn cherry veneer for the fronts, but even if it were available, I could not afford quarter sawn cherry boards.

You are lucky, being close to sea level, the air pressure will be very strong and provide strength for strong glue ups.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 AM

Thank you Jesse, I do feel fortunate.
I took a quick photo of the pump. A huge bag came with it too.
I may be asking you for advice in the near future

Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 AM

Okami,

The website for joe woodworker has a lot of information on vacumm veneering.

Joe Woodworker - Woodworking, Vacuum Pressing and Veneering Information Website

Best,
Rutager
Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Thanks for that link, Rutager! What a wealth of information!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959