talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Founding Member

Default Trend Air Pro

Ladies and Germs,

Because a number of issues, I had to resaw three boards on my bandsaw. The boards were all 2" thick x 8-9" wide x 25" in length. One thing that had been really bothering was breathing in all of the fine dust that was ending up in my lungs and nose, no matter how good my dust collection was. For several years I had been contemplating getting the Trend Air Pro. I wanted something like it so that I could wear my glasses and breathe without fogging them up and/or still having fine particulates find their way into my lungs.

Part of the reason that I hesitated was the price at $400 and worry about it just flopping all over the place without really working. A couple of weeks ago I was skyping with Peter and I was mentioning how I knew that in 2002 dust had been declared a carcinogen and how I had been thinking of the Trend. Peter made mention of something to the extent of me perhaps being stupid, etc., etc, etc. As my head dipped lower and lower under his verbal punishment, I vowed to buy the Trend and the next time I saw Peter to beat him into a pulp.

Okay, so some of that last part is not quite accurate but two days later I did order the Air Pro. When it arrived I read through the manual and found that the battery needed a 24 hour initial charge and 14 hours thereafter with an 8 hour run time. Because of that I ordered a second battery and a charging unit as otherwise the battery charges in the helmet.

Back to the beginning, I knew that my bandsaw even with the dust collector on was spewing dust up through the area where the blade enters the zero clearance insert. Consequently I adjusted the Trend to my head which was extremely easy to do, placed it on my head and turned it on. The battery on the Air Pro sits in the back and the entire helmet structure was very comfortable and not a single particulate entered my nose or lungs. The recirculated air was nice and fresh and the visor never fogged at all. I have taken four pictures so that you can get an idea of the dust storm I was standing in.

Truly a great tool at least initially.

Fred

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Trend Air Pro

Fred,
I use mine whenever dust collection is not adequate, much like the situation you describe. I especially use it when turning large numbers of colobolo handles! It eventually starts to become heavy, but I tend to need a rest once in a while anyway. Always good to take care of yourself.
Gary
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonortho View Post
Fred,
I use mine whenever dust collection is not adequate, much like the situation you describe. I especially use it when turning large numbers of colobolo handles! It eventually starts to become heavy, but I tend to need a rest once in a while anyway. Always good to take care of yourself.
Gary
Gary,

Thank you very much. How long does it normally take before it starts to feel heavy? I could not be happier even though I have only used it the once but this is the very first time that I have had no dust get around whatever type of facial device I was using and has not fogged my glasses.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Fred,
I have no problem using mine for several hours straight. It just feels good to remove it and enjoy the silence after a long session.
Gary
Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 PM

I'm quite interested in hearing follow on reviews. Like you, even with the DC unit running, especially standing at the lathe, even with a paper mask or something like a bandanna . . . I still get gunk. And I was just at my favorite place today (NOT!) the doc and got the expected warnings about inhaling any fine particulates over a long period of time. Also looked at the Trend repeatedly, and never knew anyone who had one so as to have formed an opinion. Exactly the same reservations - nobody wants to burn $400 on crap.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:58 AM

That's good to hear Fred!
I'd also like to hear how it goes longer term, keep us up to date please
At the end of the day, you can't put a price on your health! That's all some of us have
I use the best quality disposable masks I can find. I don't wear glasses, so fogging them isn't a problem, but when I'm wearing safety glasses they fog-up...
Masks vary alot between brand. I tried a few before I was happy with a shape that fits my face good.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
That's good to hear Fred!
I'd also like to hear how it goes longer term, keep us up to date please
At the end of the day, you can't put a price on your health! That's all some of us have
I use the best quality disposable masks I can find. I don't wear glasses, so fogging them isn't a problem, but when I'm wearing safety glasses they fog-up...
Masks vary alot between brand. I tried a few before I was happy with a shape that fits my face good.
Randy & Okami,

I have now used the helmet two more times for some extended periods and NO dust in my throat or nose. Okami, I too have tired a myriad of dust masks but my face is so ugly that none of them would fit as they were so busy trying to get away. Again I only have about five hours in the helmet but quite seriously I would have dust in my lungs and nose, no matter what else I was wearing within five minutes. I have worn respirators, virtually every dust mask you can think of and everything else I could think of and at least for me, nothing else has worked. The respirators were the closest to working but I sweat rather easily and must be a greaseball as well because as soon as I would start to sweat, I would also have a grease build up around my nose. The downside of this was that it made the respirator start to slide all over and of course let dust in. Finally the other beauty of the helmet is the eye protection. That is the latest update.

Fred
Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Looking for an update. In the fire service, we had a problem with SCBA masks not fitting properly and eventually we (the fire service) turned to requiring positive pressure units. I can't tell you how nice that was. You still needed a decent fit, but it was a lot more forgiving + you didn't have to work so hard at breathing. The old systems required that you literally suck air in while the new units supplied air under pressure. That relieved a lot of stress.

So my question is this: is this a positive pressure unit? I'm guessing from the description the answer is yes, but I don't see it in print for sure.

I'd be very interested in this item if everyone is still happy with them.

Mike
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: Trend Air Pro

I am a pen maker and have also found the Trend Air Pro to be a great tool in my small workshop. The company I bought mine from is Performance Line Tool Center Trend Products - Performance Line Tool Center I found the price fantastic and the woman that helped me was great, I believe her name is Karen, Hopefully she is still with the company. I Just checked and they have a holiday deal for $349.99 with free shipping on the air pro. Hope this helps you guys that need that extra protection.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 AM

Thanks Fred.
That's just what I need.
Help from you to spend more dough on tools,!
Ok "gear" that keeps tools from hurting oneself.

well,
in all seriousness,
I've been on the verge of getting something like this.
I'm fed up with the dispose-mask that fog up my glasses.
(not to mention the dust that enters thru ones tear-ducks.)
let alone the dust that cakes up on my glasses.

there is one other one I sorta remember,
Mike, Peter, John, you would remember when we visited what's his name's shop in San Diego. The one with the super-dupper vac set up and built his shop out back and the oneway lathe.
He had one that wasn't a trend, that he really liked.

any thoughts????

,,,,,,mannamac- thanks for the link!

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 12-13-2012 at 04:10 AM.