talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Ultimate Dust Deputy

As you may recall, I had a Dust Deputy cyclone with their bucket system, and I was not happy with it. The lid collapsed (I fixed it with some 3/4" MDF), and it was a real pain to move around. I duct-taped it to the back of my CTMini. But that blocked the air exit, and it was impossible to move over bumps in the floor.

So I finally decided to get the Ultimate Dust Deputy. It's a Systainer-like box that can fit onto Festool CTs. It's pretty expensive, though it's on sale right now for $200. I think it's worth it.

Here's what it looks like on my CTMini:

The kit comes with everything you need to make it work with the CTMini (unlike their system with a bucket). All the tubes, connectors, angles, etc. are included.

There were a few minor issues in getting it hooked up to the Mini. The first was the small elbow coming out of the main tube that goes into the vacuum. It had to be rotated so that it would clear the CTMini handle:

It was a tight fit, but the hose fit around the handle, and exited the front of the CTMini. It just barely made it up to the top of the cyclone, but it did.

The next issue was latching the box onto the CTMini. The box comes with a curious saw cut on a tab where the latch would go:

However, the kerf is not wide enough to allow the latch to engage. So I had to remove the part to the right of the kerf. I did this by cutting another kerf and then using a chisel to knock out the resulting tab. This allowed the latch to engage the remaining tab:

I don't know why Oneida didn't put two tabs along the bottom of the box, to fully engage the latch. I have some concern that the one tab could break off. It's very strange.

Otherwise the box fit on the CTMini just fine. The latches along the side of the vacuum engaged with no trouble.

The tube to balance the suction when you're using a bag inside the box can come out through the cord slot at the back of the CTMini. You can see that in the second picture above. I'm not totally convinced that it works.

The bags that Oneida provides are large, with lots of material outside the box to allow for tying the bag up once it's full.

Since the internal bag-suction system is marginal, I've found that once the bag is a little full, I'll open the latches to the box, and push the bag into the corners. Seems to work fine. The box is very easy to open, with two rubber handle locks that slip on and off pretty quickly. It's not particularly messy once the box is open, which I like. However, there is no way to see how full the box is when the lid is closed. You just have to check every now and then. Or perhaps the suction will suddenly stop...

Overall I'm really impressed with the construction of the box. It's impressively robust - very thick plastic, and quite heavy. You install a neoprene gasket around the edge of the lid to seal it. Seems to work well. Everything assembled very easily, and the suction is excellent. One thing I particularly like is that the cyclone is now at chest height (at least on me...), so the hose is higher up. That gives me a little more hose to work with around my benches.

The CTMini rolls around easily now with the Ultimate DD on top. That's made a huge change in how easily I move around the shop.

The one thing I'm considering is buying a 36 mm hose. The 27 mm hose clogs frequently (though not badly - they're quick and easy to remedy) when vacuuming shavings, which I'm making more of these days. Otherwise this is a great system. The cyclone probably reduces my Festool bag usage by a factor of 10, saving quite a lot of money. The Ultimate DD would probably pay for itself in 10 or fewer large projects, just through bag savings. Even faster if you do a lot of hand planing.

Last edited by Poto; 07-19-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Dust Deputy

Nice review sir, other than the add-on of the bag system and its required plumbing, your version looks like my very early model DD. What's REALLY AMAZING is that they STILL haven't gotten that tab/foot thing worked out. You had to do the SAME thing with yours that I ended doing to mine once I had mounted the DD onto the top of the Sortainer, and not directly on top of the CT-22 itself. Geez Oneida, they've had a few years now to improve how well their boxes work with the systainer/Tanos system. Kind of funny how it's still a bit hit or miss for that detail.
Oh well, once you've notched the peg/foot correctly, you're done.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. I was just in a lumber yard where they use Festools, and they had the UDD on top of a CT22. I noticed that with the CT22, the side latch closes horizontally, rather than vertically like on the CTMini. So it's not an issue with the larger CTs - just the Mini (and maybe the Midi? I didn't check).
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Very nice review Poto. It's more than a little upsetting that as expensive the unit is one has to start carving on it to fasten it down. Do I understand there is only one locking tab at the base? I have the CT33, I wonder what issues there might be with it. Right now my DD bucket sets in a hole in plywood that I made to fit in the hose garage. I suppose if I would get the "box" I would eliminate the hose garage.
Is the still an Oneida employee lurking here? Input?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

It appears that you have a serious dust collection fetish.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hee hee! The old DD is at the side there. Otherwise it's just the CT and a Delta DC for my bandsaw and planer.

The UDD will fit perfectly on your CT33 with no modification. It's only when you want to clip it onto a Systainer - or the top of the CTmini, which is like a Systainer - that you need to do the surgery.

Definitely an oversight on Oneida's part.

BTW the Oneida guy who used to check in here no longer works for the company. Perhaps he was too good...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I'm thinking I should pull the trigger on this, but I don't know if it'll fit the CT-22 with the boom arm. Anyone?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
I'm thinking I should pull the trigger on this, but I don't know if it'll fit the CT-22 with the boom arm. Anyone?
I have the same question for the CT33 with boom arm?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Hee hee! The old DD is at the side there. Otherwise it's just the CT and a Delta DC for my bandsaw and planer.

The UDD will fit perfectly on your CT33 with no modification. It's only when you want to clip it onto a Systainer - or the top of the CTmini, which is like a Systainer - that you need to do the surgery.

Definitely an oversight on Oneida's part.

BTW the Oneida guy who used to check in here no longer works for the company. Perhaps he was too good...

I'm a bit confused (that happens often) -- I can latch it onto the CT33 with no mod? -- I was thinking the latches were the same as the systainers? I'll have to look at that.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yes - you can latch it onto the CT22 and CT33 with no mod. Those side latches slide horizontally, not vertically like on a Systainer.

Not sure about the boom arm, though. Anyone else?