talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Founding Member

Default Shop-made Vortex Dust Collector Woks On

Ladies & Gents,

I read a really interesting blog today from Glen Huey about the new Jet Vortex system that was duplicated by another woodworker for about $30. I hope you enjoy it.

Fred

In April 2011, I blogged about a new dust collector from JET (read it here). I also wrote about the new collector design in the August 2011 (issue #191) Tool Test column (download a copy here). The company hung a cone-shaped device in the housing area to improve dust collection by keeping the majority of the dust in the bag and out of the filter an unclogged filter results in better collection due to better air movement. I was and am convinced that JETs new design really works. In the comments to that blog, it was suggested you could simply install an inverted salad bowl to convert any dust collector to the improved version. Half jokingly, I wrote that if anyone did install a salad bowl or other device into a dust collector, I would post photos. Someone did, and here it is.
An e-mail from Tony S:
Glen,
I have a Jet dust collector with the canister filter. I used the photos in your article as the inspiration to retrofit it with a baffle. It took me a while to find the right part at the right price. I found a 14" wok at the store for $25. I mounted it with a piece of 1/16" thick perforated steel from the "erector set" section at Home Depot. I mounted it with 1/4" machine screws and put Locktite on the threads. The wok is suspended from the steel strap with two 1-1/2" long pieces of 1/2" copper pipe and held together with long machine screws.
I cleaned as much dust out of the canister filter as I could when I reassembled the dust collector. I planed down a few boards, most notably a 4/4 rough board down to 1/2". Then I sized up the boards on the table saw and band saw. Milling added 6" to 8" of dust to the bag.
It was amazing to see the dust drop to the bottom of the bag. I don't remember that happening before. I pulled the canister off to see if the baffle had done any good. Much to my surprise, the filter was cleaner than when I installed it! And because of the shape of the wok, no dust collected on its top side.
I think a 14" wok most closely matches Jet's Vortex design when compared to other household items such as salad bowls or even a flat piece of steel. The key is to shop around for a cheap wok. Most of the ones I saw were priced around $70.
Thanks,
Tony Strupulis
Nice job, Tony. It actually worked. Its great to see woodworker innovation and someone stepping out there to give it a try.
I cant imagine the noise you would have heard if your wok came loose and began flapping against the housing underside. If any other woodworkers attempt to retrofit their collectors with kitchen apparatuses salad bowls, woks or spatulas please make sure your connections are secure. And do send photos.
Glen D. Huey
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Shop-made Vortex Dust Collector Woks On

That's so cool, Fred. Thanks for posting. You can often find woks at asian markets for $10 or so.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Thanks Fred, I posted the introductory video (of the baffle equipped DC) a while back and wondered if Jet would offer a retro-fit kit for existing owners ofJet canister DCs. Apparently not, but thanks to Glen's blog we now have enough pictures to make our own. Looks pretty easy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I've wanted to get a new wok but my wife likes the $3 one I've had for 35 years. Should I drill a few holes in it and hide it in the dust collector so I can get a new one? Do you think she'll be suspicious when I start planing ash and it smells like peanut oil and 5-spice powder in the garage?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

That's a nicesa!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I think you're getting your Chinese and Italian mixed up, Ron...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I think you're getting your Chinese and Italian mixed up, Ron...
Very concerning since I am 100% German...

Those woks were green before there was green -- low fuel requirement, super high heat with fast cooking.

Last edited by RONWEN; 07-15-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Very concerning since I am 100% German...

Those woks were green before there was green -- low fuel requirement, super high heat with fast cooking.
Which is great, unless you're in ... say ... the inside of a woodworking dust collector.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Which is great, unless you're in ... say ... the inside of a woodworking dust collector.
I can see that you need a vacation.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Thanks Fred, I posted the introductory video (of the baffle equipped DC) a while back and wondered if Jet would offer a retro-fit kit for existing owners ofJet canister DCs. Apparently not, but thanks to Glen's blog we now have enough pictures to make our own. Looks pretty easy.
This very topic was covered or started on Sawmill Creek by an upset Jet DC owner who found out that there was NO plans from Jet to offer a retro kit for older product owners. Sawmill Creek has been adding to his original post for weeks now. The "wok" dish is the latest wrinkle on Sean's first post about his frustrations with Jet on this. After all this debate, I'm now looking at my single stage Delta with it's canister filter system different. I mean, 'what the wok', looks like a cheap user mod! Sorry, couldn't resist the pun....