talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Radial Arm Saws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

... What's up? It's suspiciously quiet in Joraft land...
:nothingtoadd2:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Ha!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 AM

Default Re: DeWalt GK series Radial Arm Saws

HELP! I was lucky enough to score a GK series Dewalt RAS from a local shop that closed down- and for next to nothing. It's in great shape, runs good...and has a three phase 230VAC motor. Can anyone help me figure out how to make this great tool useful in a household setting ie 1 phase motor swap, where to look for such, or a converter that doesn't cost the proverbial Arm & Leg?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 PM

You need to find a shop that deals in motors. They'll be able to figure out what kind of hp requirements you need, what arbor speed, size, etc. How the motor you have mounts to the tool you have can matter too, as there are a variety of methods, and some mount via a base, some via the motor housing (which is cast for a set bolt pattern).
Guess what I'm saying is, this is probably a great yellow pages moment. That said, it can be done. They're the ones though who would be able to look at what you have and help you find the economical way of getting there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 AM

google Mr. Sawdust Presents "How To Master The Radial Arm Saw" and old DeWalt RAS. There is a lot of good info out there. Now if I can just get my basement finished, I'll build a new table for my 1956 RAS.
Tom
Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
google Mr. Sawdust Presents "How To Master The Radial Arm Saw" and old DeWalt RAS. There is a lot of good info out there. Now if I can just get my basement finished, I'll build a new table for my 1956 RAS.
Tom
I bookmarked that website for a later read. A RAS was my first big power tool. I still use it in my shop. It is a Craftsman from 1976, back when they built them pretty solidly. I gave mine a new top about 10 years ago. I found some 1-1/4" MDF at the local specialty lumber store, and added a piece of white Melamine over it. I then banded it with thin oak. Really makes a nice work surface. A new fence has aluminum T-track with flip stops.

I have been watching Craigslist for awhile, waiting for an old DeWalt or Delta to pick up and restore. I just don't want the down time to do a restore on mine until I have a second saw! It really would be mostly cosmetic, doing some painting and probably a custom cabinet stand. Mine just has the sheet metal legs, and I've always wanted a better stand.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Jet JWBS-10OS 10-Inch Band Saw with Stand
on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JWBS-10OS-...dp/B001O0D6N8/