talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Default Re: SAWSTOP Putting your money where your mouth is

John, sorry to hear about your friend.

We live in the middle of the canyon and I drive that road everyday on the way to my studio, that is one stretch of road where DEFENSE-ABLE driving is a must.

,,,,,r

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to charimon

Here is one of my Favorites Just to put things into prespective
Craig
Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

There is an interview with Steve Gass broadcasting now at WNYC. You can listen at any time at the above link.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 AM

I was in the market back in Jan for a new TS and had to decide between the SS and the Hammer K3. I ultimately chose the K3 because of the slider and I'm glad I did. When combined with the eccentric workpiece clamp, not cheap at $250, my hands never get within 10 inches of the blade. There is an angled ripping shoe at one end to give the workpiece something to keep it from moving forward and the clamp holds the rear. I simply hold onto the table handle and slide the whole thing past the blade. It's simply a fantastic machine. That it the ultimate level of safety, IMHO. If I need to rip something that is too narrow to be secured with the clamp, I use the grrrper, and again, my hand never gets within striking distance. The machine has an electric brake that stops the blade within a few seconds so no waiting for the blade to spin down. The SS brake is a wonderful invention but I think it is using new technology to overcome a 100 year old design. For the same money, I'll take the slider anytime. When used properly, there is no need for the brake.

"I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position." Mark Twain

TS-75, RO 150 FEQ, MFT 1080, OF 1400, RTS 400, CT-22, Boom Arm and lusting after the Kapex!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

That's a really interesting point, Howard. Thanks so much for sharing. For those of us without access to a slider, would you mind posting some pictures of your machine and the clamp system you describe? I'd be very interested. Surely keeping your fingers far, far away from the blade is a better solution than having the blade stop when your fingers are in it.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:35 AM

I think you're spot on with what you said, Howard!
I also think you made the better choice going with the hammer slider
Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 AM

this is what I'm talking about. as you can see, once the workpiece is clamped, you can stay far, far away from the blade and there is no slippage either.
Attached Thumbnails
sawstop-putting-your-money-where-your-photo.jpg   sawstop-putting-your-money-where-your-photo-1.jpg  

"I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position." Mark Twain

TS-75, RO 150 FEQ, MFT 1080, OF 1400, RTS 400, CT-22, Boom Arm and lusting after the Kapex!

Last edited by Howardh; 05-24-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: trying to fix the pics
Old 05-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

That's pretty cool, Howard. Looks like you could clamp a pretty narrow piece on that setup. Thanks for posting!

What's that black rubber-looking thing over to the right of the blade?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 PM

hmmmm... I don't know how that thing got up there! It certainly doesn't have a motor attached to it in any way. That might one of the best Festool tools they have come out with.