talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 03:20 AM

Default Router table upgrade

Good fortune befalls me! A guy who is a local customer of ours has a business that deals extensively with "green" products. One of them is Richlite. He generates scraps, and considering the cost, has never wanted to throw them out. If only he could think of something useful to do with the off cuts.
Well he did, so I found out about the stuff when he brought a ton of it to me to chop up into neat little pieces.
You can google it, but in a nutshell, richlite is paper. Thousands of sheets impregnated with color and resin and pressed. It is dense! You can't nail into it, screws break off in it, sanding it with 60 Cristal has the same effect as sanding oak with 220. I said man, you ever have a scrap you dont want to use for something else . . .
And I became the proud owner of a hunk of ghastly green, 1 1/2 thick Richlite. Just enough to make a new router table top, which I'm in desperate need of anyway.
So a sheet of this wholesales for something like $1400; you'd never just buy it for a router table top. What a score though. Dead flat. Super hard, but I can still rout it, or cut it with a saw.
My top has got to weigh at least 80 lbs. Stability isn't bad, no?
I'm toying with putting a couple of hunks of T track in it with epoxy and then being able to use cam clamps or even Kreg bench clamps for holding down fences, featherboards, stops, whatever.
I'll take a pic when its worth taking a picture of. Right now its just a blank, but the green is growing on me. Shops need unsightly things in them from time to time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Router table upgrade

If you use about 100 sheets of it, it might offset your giant diesel, in the grand scheme of things!

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. Sounds cool. Do you think your saw blades and router bits will survive working it?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 AM

RW,

I'm thinking that your immense ghastly green chunk of Richlite would go rather well with the decor there, no? Sounds like a good get.

Now I'm sure we're not talking black hole density of this stuff here (or are we????) but when you get the router table up and running don't hook up the CT to it the first time you run some material through. Maybe none of the chips you create will be able to escape its event horizon and so no conventional dust extraction will ever be needed.

The first actual 100% dust extraction system ever.

DW
Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

But wouldn't it suck your project, you, and the rest of the earth into it as well?

Might solve all our global problems in one big un-bang!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:50 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
But wouldn't it suck your project, you, and the rest of the earth into it as well?

Might solve all our global problems in one big un-bang!
SLURP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 PM

Has a nice ring to it, really
but I don't think we're quite to the level of "that great sucking sound" as Mr. Perot so famously put it.
Its just heavy.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:31 AM

Update pics
Ghastly green, burn marks from the saw left intact (hey, you try sanding this stuff!!!)
Complete with *score* just enough leftover to epoxy a very, very heavy fence together.
I added a good helping of nails, glue, etc to the table. Its getting on. It's like 12 years, 10 years old? I dunno. In router table years though it's got to be about 80. I punched a bigger hole in the back and rigged a T, reducer, etc so I can hook it up to the stationary DC unit. Man that was a good move.
Not much leaves the table top anymore.
Incra is in. Bueno.
Attached Thumbnails
router-table-upgrade-shop-002.jpg   router-table-upgrade-shop-003.jpg  
Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Update pics
Ghastly green, burn marks from the saw left intact (hey, you try sanding this stuff!!!)
Complete with *score* just enough leftover to epoxy a very, very heavy fence together.
I added a good helping of nails, glue, etc to the table. Its getting on. It's like 12 years, 10 years old? I dunno. In router table years though it's got to be about 80. I punched a bigger hole in the back and rigged a T, reducer, etc so I can hook it up to the stationary DC unit. Man that was a good move.
Not much leaves the table top anymore.
Incra is in. Bueno.

Wow, that is an ugly shade of green. The fact that the guy had cut offs of it means that someone actually wanted that in their kitchen! Yikes.

Bet it makes a great work surface though.