talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Knew Concepts

Knew Concepts Every item is made in the U.S. with full backup for every product. My approach to design is that all improvements are "backward compatible" to the older product. That way, you the customer, are always supported throughout the life cycle of anything that you buy from us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Thumbs up Titanium Fretsaw arrival

First of all, Thank You very much Lee for giving me the opportunity to try this saw out

As derek mentioned "I got a pizza box" too

In the package was the Titanium frame and handle, the 45 degree angle, blade holder (Lee had already set it to 45 degrees left for me, being a lefty)
Also enclosed was the standard 0 or 90 degree blade holder.
This version also has the quick release, tension lever

Lee Also included an instruction sheet, signed by himself and a brochure from Knew Concepts.

I haven't used the saw yet ( it just arrived this afternoon ) but I put in one of the usual blades I use, an Olson Skip Tooth, 12.5 TPI.

First impressions are, man this is light, and stiff!
The Titanium frame combined with the tension lever makes getting the right tension on the blade a breeze, I've never had these blades so well tensioned on a Fretsaw...usually the frame starts bending in before the blade can become tight... not with this saw, I'm looking forward to putting the saw through it's paces, and cutting some dovetails

Again, Thank You very much Lee

Okami
Attached Thumbnails
titanium-fretsaw-arrival-rimg0335.jpg   titanium-fretsaw-arrival-rimg0337.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Titanium Fretsaw arrival

We'll be looking for a report and of course pictures of the beautiful work you do with it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Location: Santa Cruz, CA (just another lousy day in paradise)

Hello to all from Wales. We have spent a week on the canals, and it was a marvelous slowing down of pace. Soon, we are off to Birmingham and Ironbridge, the seat of the Industrial Revolution that all of us are the beneficiaries of (yeah, I know that it is a preposition, but it works).

Glad that Fred, Okami and Derek got their prototype saws. Still making changes on the small details, so the production units will not be available until probably mid September.

We will let you know when they are released.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Hey Oldster,
Have fun in Birmingham it's my home town! and Wales is a beautiful place, our holiday destination when I was a boy (many moons ago)
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Just to let you all know, I haven't forgotten about the saw I've been very busy with a dining set order (no dovetails) gotta pay the bills eh
hopefully next week some time, I will get a start on some dovetailing work

Cheers!
Okami
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldster View Post
Hello to all from Wales. We have spent a week on the canals, and it was a marvelous slowing down of pace. Soon, we are off to Birmingham and Ironbridge, the seat of the Industrial Revolution that all of us are the beneficiaries of (yeah, I know that it is a preposition, but it works).

Glad that Fred, Okami and Derek got their prototype saws. Still making changes on the small details, so the production units will not be available until probably mid September.

We will let you know when they are released.
Hi Lee,

Just checked your website again and don't see anything listed yet. Any timeline update? Not that any of us are anxious or anything........

Mike
Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Add me to the eager list. My coping saw twists all over the place!
Old 09-04-2010, 04:47 AM

Location: Santa Cruz, CA (just another lousy day in paradise)

I am getting close on the saw frames. I just sent off the CAD files to the Titanium folks, and they saw that they will be able to ship in about ten days.
I have completely redesigned the frame and the lever tensioner to increase the lift on the cam (kinda' takes me back to my drag racing days).

I am racing against the clock to get everything ready in time for the WIA conference at the end of the month. This is where I will be introducing the new saw.
I have made a lot of changes based upon all of the input from all of you. I admit that my knowledge of the needs of the woodworker was less than dismal, and without your help I would not have had a clue as to what your needs are.
The other jpg shows the final design of the indexable blade clamps. Imagine the strip at the rear as the frame. The set screw is in one of the blade clamp holes, and shows how the barrel will swivel 45 degrees each way to end stops, and will also stop at Zero with a built-in detent.
I should mention that the clamps shown were hurriedly machined for "proof of concept" and are not the production version.

None of this would have been possible without Priscilla (my mainstay in the shop). Let me introduce you to her: she is a Vertical Machining Center made by Daewoo nee Doosan, with a working envelope of 30" x 16" and has a 24 pocket Ferris Wheel tool changer. I am attaching a jpg of her with a couple of her beau's (I'm the old one if you hadn't guessed). Brian is a good friend, excellent metalworker and helps out in the shop in return for some of Priscilla's attention.
Attached Thumbnails
titanium-fretsaw-arrival-swivel-clamp.jpg   titanium-fretsaw-arrival-priscilla-me.jpg  

Last edited by oldster; 09-04-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more information
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Just to let you all know, I haven't forgotten about the saw I've been very busy with a dining set order (no dovetails) gotta pay the bills eh
hopefully next week some time, I will get a start on some dovetailing work

Cheers!
Okami
Okami,

It is a great saw indeed. I am so glad that you like it. However, I was the first one to claim the pizza box.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldster View Post
I am getting close on the saw frames. I just sent off the CAD files to the Titanium folks, and they saw that they will be able to ship in about ten days.
I have completely redesigned the frame and the lever tensioner to increase the lift on the cam (kinda' takes me back to my drag racing days).

I am racing against the clock to get everything ready in time for the WIA conference at the end of the month. This is where I will be introducing the new saw.
I have made a lot of changes based upon all of the input from all of you. I admit that my knowledge of the needs of the woodworker was less than dismal, and without your help I would not have had a clue as to what your needs are.
The other jpg shows the final design of the indexable blade clamps. Imagine the strip at the rear as the frame. The set screw is in one of the blade clamp holes, and shows how the barrel will swivel 45 degrees each way to end stops, and will also stop at Zero with a built-in detent.
I should mention that the clamps shown were hurriedly machined for "proof of concept" and are not the production version.

None of this would have been possible without Priscilla (my mainstay in the shop). Let me introduce you to her: she is a Vertical Machining Center made by Daewoo nee Doosan, with a working envelope of 30" x 16" and has a 24 pocket Ferris Wheel tool changer. I am attaching a jpg of her with a couple of her beau's (I'm the old one if you hadn't guessed). Brian is a good friend, excellent metalworker and helps out in the shop in return for some of Priscilla's attention.
Lee,

The blade clamps look great and I can't wait to se them in use. Priscilla is a very nice machine and I would not want her mad at me.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31