talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 06:24 AM

Default Basement remodel in the heartland

My house is a single story bungalow built in 1916. It's old and it ain't plumb and level anymore. The basement had been "fixed up" by the previous owners sometime in the late 60's or early 70's as best I could tell. Gaudy shag carpet, jungle print wall paper, funky yellow-green paint. You get the picture, right?

I do have some before pictures somewhere but can't find them, which it probably a good thing because it was a very retro (in a not so good way)place to be. The decision was made going on 2+ years ago to redo the basement to make it liveable and not headache inducing. I've taken a number of shots of the progress over time and will post them. First a few shots of the initial phase.

This is one corner of the basement floor. So cracks and settling but no water problems:

Sikaflex self leveling sealant around the perimeter and flashing tape under all bottom plates.

Bottom plate installed.:

Another shot showing the original unfinished east wall.:

1½" XPS on all exterior walls. Seams were all taped.:

All the joist bays received rigid foam and were sealed tight. It was a little tricky manuevering the foam gun in such a tight space.:[

The foam guns came in handy for sealing everything up.

This is a shot of some of the wall framing and a soffit that runs full length of the south wall.:

Another shot of the south wall showing more of the soffit framing. Recessed lighting was evetually put in the soffit. Laser line from a PLS2 is visible.:

A PLS² crosshair laser from Pacific Laser Systems mounted on laserjamb. These were indespensible for this project especially for the framing.:

I'll continue this with more pictures of the slow and not quite steady progress as soon as I can. No Festools used to this point in time but I promise there will be some before the end.

Last edited by DWyatt; 09-20-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Basement remodel in the heartland

Nice work, Darrin. Is that painted brick wall the one you sanded down with your RO150?

What's with the carpet on the floor? Will it stay? Seems like a lot of work to work around it and keep it clean...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Founding Member

Darrin,

Nice start! I noticed that you have a LaserJamb. How do you like it? Does it allow you to get up close to the ceiling? Down close to the floor? (I have a PLS180.)

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Darrin,

Nice start! I noticed that you have a LaserJamb. How do you like it? Does it allow you to get up close to the ceiling? Down close to the floor? (I have a PLS180.)

Regards,

Dan.

Dan,

I would say it will get about 1" or so from the ceiling and about 3" from the floor.

It's an older version of the current model and has a soft side carry case. I'd say it's about 6' long. I'd say if you have a laser the laserjamb would be a must have accessory.

I do love my PLS² but that PLS180 looks very nice little laser too.

Darrin
Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Nice work, Darrin. Is that painted brick wall the one you sanded down with your RO150?

What's with the carpet on the floor? Will it stay? Seems like a lot of work to work around it and keep it clean...
Poto,

The wall that I stripped is to the left of the wall in the picture.

Ah, the carpet. I was wondering if someone would notice that. It is a lesson in how not to communicate with your excessively impatient significant other.

The title of the story is, "A Guide for Adults Over the Age of 35 to Rediscover Their Inner 5 Year Old Selves".

My wife found the carpet she wanted for the basement and was really excited to have it installed. Well, I only had the bottom plates down when she bought the carpet. She gave me the business card of the installer the carpet store recommended. She wanted me to call him and schedule a time for him to start.

I told her that it would be at least month before I was ready for the carpet and explained the reasons why. Hey, I may be slow but I'm not very fast either.

Well this lead to a little tiff and it ended me uttering these fateful last words, "You know, Mia, if you want your carpet layed so *&$#% bad call the carpet guy yourself. I'm not dealing with it right now!"

Of course she took me at face value and for once actually followed through with something I suggested.

To end my tale of woe I will just say that she got her carpet before its time and I ended up laying sheets of hardboard over it to protect it the best I could.

To set the record straight we look back on this and laugh. My wife is a sweetheart. She certainly can be a pip but I'm lucky to have her.

Darrin
Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a marriage to me! I think our wives would like each other. They certainly sound like they're a lot alike. Good story!

It sort of looks in one picture like the 2x4's are actually laid over the edge of the carpet. If that's true, the carpet's going to be pretty permanent, isn't it?

Good luck on the remodel.

"Hey, I may be slow, but I'm not fast either." I love it!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Poto,

Just think if the Misseses knew each other none of our secrets would be safe.

Nah, just looks that way. That certainly would be a little too permanent.

D
Old 09-19-2008, 01:28 PM

A few more shots of the the big fix.

Due to some settling of the foundation the ceiling had a bit of slope to it. At its worst it was an 1½" in ten feet.

with some spacer blocks and strapping I got ceiling to get it back to level.

Some more shots of the framing. In this one you can see the remnants of the jungle wall paper I framed in front of as it was needed due to a partial brick wall that was just out of the shot.

This is the landing area looking back towards the basement stairs. The door at the back leads to the laundry area and what some say will hopefully be a small indoor shop area. The door to the right is the Man's Bathroom.

This shot is 180º from the previous one. Behind the framing is a door that opens to steps leading up to ground level.

Some more framing and in the lower portion of the shot is the drywall just begging to be hung. I add more on that exciting phase of the project soon.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM

This is a great thread Darrin

I like the groovy wall paper

As a started reading, I wondered about the carpet too. I hope it doesn't get a wrinkle in it.
Your work looks nice and tidy! I'm looking forward to following this.
Thanks for sharing it with us Darrin
Okami:tigersmile:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Darin, tickled to see someone in NE actually knows how to properly insulate against a foundation. I've seen too much of wet FG batts already. Good on ya.