talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Basement remodel in the heartland

Great thread Darrin!

That D-mix is a cool trick, thanks for passing it on. However, my brain is a little clogged this morning so would you explain what "PVA primer" is?

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 09-20-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Great thread Darin!

That D-mix is a cool trick, thanks for passing it on. However, my brain is a little clogged this morning so would you explain what "PVA primer" is?
Mornin' Michael,

Its good old primer for drywall. PolyVinyl Acetate.

Darrin
Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Cool! Looks kind of like a house. Is that what you were aiming for?
Poto,

Zackly dat! However....

There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
And they all lived together in a little crooked house

D
Old 09-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWyatt View Post
Mornin' Michael,

Its good old primer for drywall. PolyVinyl Acetate.

Darrin

Michael,

It's usually called a sealer or you'll see it as sealer/primer. It seals the drywall nice and gets it ready for painting. Sometimes a problem with it is that it has somewhat of a semi-gloss finish so can be difficult to get paint to roll onto it nicely. Seems to take more coats of paint to get a good finish than just using a high quality primer like Kilz.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:46 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Thanks for the extra info Chris.

A friend called this morning who does high end decorative finishes. I told him about the D-mix. He was interested in the addition of the primer. He has mostly seen people use drywall compound with POP alone but he doesn't use it himself. He's had problems with thick applications of the stuff taking a long time to dry. Occasionally he has to remove the previous guy's work and replace it with something hotter before he can start his own work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Thanks for the extra info Chris.

A friend called this morning who does high end decorative finishes. I told him about the D-mix. He was interested in the addition of the primer. He has mostly seen people use drywall compound with POP alone but he doesn't use it himself. He's had problems with thick applications of the stuff taking a long time to dry. Occasionally he has to remove the previous guy's work and replace it with something hotter before he can start his own work.

Here's a link to the Breaktime forum that has a bunch of discussions on the D-mix. The first post click on the bottom of the first post to "View Full Message". A bunch of the previous discuusion have been complied together.

HOLD ON THE LINK I POSTED DIDN'T GO TO WHERE I WANTED IT TO.

I'm working on it.

Well I can't get a link that take you directly to the thread I want so I'll post this one.

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-breakti...Reading+%3E%3E

When it opens click on advanced search and typre in "D mix" right next to the search botton at the top of the seach window. Leave the search criteria as is.

Then to your left open the top message that shows "compliments of Pierre" in it. This is the post I was talking about above.

I hope this works. Sorry for the confusion.

If you use the search site button on Breaktime use the advanced search as at least in the past worked much better. There's a bunch of threads on D-mix on the site.

Last edited by DWyatt; 09-20-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:59 AM

Here's some more on the project. Trim and moulding phase.

Here's the base, casing and other assorted moulding fresh from the millwork shop. Red oak, craftsman style to match the upstairs woodwork. The base is 7" and the casing is 4".

This is a piece of base with a seal coat of dewaxed shellac.

Very simple profile on the base with coped the inside corners.

This cut I wasn't very happy with as my nervous twitch got the best of me. Nobody will ever see it as a desk will be in front of it but I'll know it's there. Just prior to fitting it into place.

And it's in. A little drywall repair was warranted too.

Here's a better corner.

And a couple shots of the bigger picture.

This is the window on the east wall that was shown in a couple of previous pictures.

Someday this remodel will end and my dear wife will be very happy.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! That's really beautiful! I love the trim and window casings. I wish I had seen that before I did my own. You did an amazing job. Now see if you can restrain yourself from pointing out the little flaws to everyone who comes over to visit!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Wow! That's really beautiful! I love the trim and window casings. I wish I had seen that before I did my own. You did an amazing job. Now see if you can restrain yourself from pointing out the little flaws to everyone who comes over to visit!

Thanks, Peter. It's was fun to do the trim out with material that's substantial. Over the years I've done way too many clamshell casing type jobs. Kinda boring and uninspiring.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWyatt View Post

Someday this remodel will end and my dear wife will be very happy.

Darrin, you are truly an amazing guy. You do beuatiful work AND you are able to make your wife happy.

I've never been able to accomplish either one.