talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Interior Door Rehab

Indeed - it certainly has a lot of gluing surface, and edges for alignment.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:06 PM

I'll post more pictures tomorrow once I'm at work. iPhone or Mac will tend to leave them sideways if I direct post. Door is done and was installed last night with 1 more coat of Varnish on the exterior side of the door to help with UV protection from the Sun hitting it during afternoons.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
I like the hardware change.
Thanks. I wasn't going to live with the worn out knobs and conversion plate as it was.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
So little casing that it went fast in sanding it. Filled nail holes after sinking a few a bit lower that were found by the Granat as I was sanding the wood.
I use Timbermate Wood Filler, really works well for me. This project got their' Mahogany' version since it matches the stain color I was using well enough not to stand up under the finished wood as an eyesore....
Does the Timbermate Wood Filler harden like a lot of the others on the market? Can you use it to fill holes and then sink screws into it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Does the Timbermate Wood Filler harden like a lot of the others on the market? Can you use it to fill holes and then sink screws into it?
I've never tried it for reinstalling screws in a hole. I would doubt it holds that well due to its composition, which I think is a clay type base.
works great otherwise....
Old 05-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Door reinstalled- I'll add the' Poto/Work in progress' pictures next..
Attached Thumbnails
interior-door-rehab-interior-door-2-014.jpg  
Old 05-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Neat Punch Set to easily put small holes in thin sheet metal instead of having to drill it. Haven't used one of these since the mid '80s.. Kind of proud to own my own set. About $116 from Mc-Master Carr.
Attached Thumbnails
interior-door-rehab-interior-door-2-003.jpg  
Old 05-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Punching the brass sheet- Since I only used #6 screws, the hole is pretty small for clearance on those little brass round head screws- agggg, picture won't load...

Last edited by Leakyroof; 05-18-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 AM

Nice work! Really a great transformation.

Thanks for sharing -
Old 05-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
Nice work! Really a great transformation.

Thanks for sharing -
Thanks Neil. Now if I could just get pictures to attach successfully.....Don't know why that's changed with this site- it used to be an easy affair other than posting from Apple products that loaded images ending up sideways.

I've moved on to restoring our Dining Room Windows. I had sanded the finish off the main trim/casing last year, and now took the lower sashes out for restoration work. Next, I'll remove the parting beads and work on the Upper Sashes with them removed. I used my XL Domino to redo the tenons in one window's rotted tenons. I was actually wishing the XL went a bit further in depth than the max 70mm plunge, but the window is solid again anyway for the depth I could get. 90mm would be great though, I wonder if any one makes an extender for the bits.....

Although it's a bit tedious of a job, it's going to be great to have all new sash chains AND working windows, lubed pulleys, fresh sash lifts/handles, cleaned up wood with fresh stain and varnish, and new paint and glazing for the exterior of the sashes. I'm taking pictures as I go, but will have to figure out the error message I get when trying to attach pics.