talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 09:59 PM

Default Toe Kick Height for Kitchen Cabinets?

It appears that 4" is the industry standard. Does that change if I'm going to install flooring around the cabinets rather than on top of the floor?

Should I make the toe kick 4 3/8" if my tile floor will be 3/8" tall?

Of course putting the floor under the cabinets would eliminate the issue, but would cost extra in tile and labor, not to mention anchoring the base becomes much more work than with the sub floor.

Thanks

Last edited by rutager; 08-16-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Toe Kick Height for Kitchen Cabinets?

If you are building your bases as a separate frame under the cases, I would add the 3/8" to compensate for floor height. If you are in an older house that is not level, It is much easier to level a separate base than to trim attachable panels on adjustable legs.

That said, my wife and I are both over 6' tall, so we want 39-40" high counter tops to make working on them more comfortable. I plan to add the extra height to the bases under standard cases so if Poto ever buys our house, he can just take the bases out.

I am going to tile the entire room before installing cabinets just to make it easier and more flexible if we don't like our cabinet arrangement and want to rearrange them later.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Administrator

4.5" rough height is pretty common. Thing to watch out for is dishwasher clearsnce from finish floor to countertop. I've added 1/2" lifts to store bought cabinets for that clearance and it resulted in a finish toe kick of about 4.5", the extra space is nice especially when wearing boots.

As for anchoring bases, typically I only anchor islands and end walls to the floor, bases that back to a wall usually just get screwed to the wall, adjacent cabinets and the countertop deck. Sometimes a skinny cabinet gets anchored to the floor for added insurance if it isn't next to another cabinet.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 AM

Thanks guys,

Sounds like I should make the toe a bit higher, my book has two different numbers in it; 4 3/4" is listed for face frames, I suppose so the frame to floor is 4" in the end.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Standard counter height is 36" above the finished floor.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
If you are building your bases as a separate frame under the cases, I would add the 3/8" to compensate for floor height. If you are in an older house that is not level, It is much easier to level a separate base than to trim attachable panels on adjustable legs.

That said, my wife and I are both over 6' tall, so we want 39-40" high counter tops to make working on them more comfortable. I plan to add the extra height to the bases under standard cases so if Poto ever buys our house, he can just take the bases out.

I am going to tile the entire room before installing cabinets just to make it easier and more flexible if we don't like our cabinet arrangement and want to rearrange them later.

Like I'd ever move to Kansas...

As Alex implied, we're pretty short in our family, so we intended to get the countertops a bit lower than normal. But then that pesky dishwasher arrived, and all the cabinets got put back at regulation height.

When Alex and his wife get old enough and have shrunk a bit, they might like the lower counter heights
Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 PM

No kidding on dishwasher heights, mine is pretty tall, 5'11" last I checked!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

I did see a neat installation aimed at handicapped people, where the dishwasher was mounted about 16" above the floor to enable wheelchair -bound people to easily reach the racks. We also found this an interesting idea for taller people that don't want to bend over so far.

And Poto, there is an abundance of fossilized sea life in Kansas to study. You don't even have to chase it!

Old 08-18-2015, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
LOL, I hope you don't stuff that one under the counter
Old 08-18-2015, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Mine is 6'2" and every once in a while, she makes a funny noise - especially if her wine glass is empty!