talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM

Default Finally restarted my Front Door project

It's been 4 years since I replaced our front door. I've redone the door, learned a lot about varnish and finishing in the process, but never completed the interior trim around the door since I ran into lots of weird angles, sloped, curves and generally confusing Old House issues with trying to make new moulding to trim out the door.
I HAD added the inner trim right next to the door about 3 years ago, and never got back to it. Never even stained it. Really depressed me at times to walk in and see the not-completed work staring at me..
So, I bought some wide enough African Mahogany to work with the further spaced dimensions that our door replacement had caused in the first place, and custom made some trim this week to get the damn thing looking finished finally.
I would have liked to had matching Mahogany like the inner upright trim and the door have, but my local wood dealer didn't have wide enough boards in the same species when I went to look for some suitable moulding stock.
The older stuff has more of a red-orange tint to it and the grain is not the same as the African Mahogany.
I had also bought some 5/4 Mahogany a few years ago for new Plinth blocks to go under the trim boards, and it was a great match for the door and inner trim as well.
Sanded to 220 grit with Granat, vacuum several times, and stained with Mini-Wax Red Mahogany Stain to match the stain on the door.
I'm no Trim or Finish Carpenter, so I'm still in awe of how anyone can make trim look good on an old Plaster walled house where nothing is square, staight, plumb, in the same plane, etc...
The top piece of moulding is original for the house, I need to learn the names of moulding parts and trim someday, anyone know of a great book along those lines. I don't know if all of it is considered Casing Moulding, or something else since it's not right next to the door. It was nice to be able to reuse any trim that our almost 100 year old house came with though.

The treadplate/floor entrance will get a custom Teak piece now that the walls are in place. I bought a piece of 12/4 off-cut that I had been lusting after for months at my local wood dealer. I'll make a cardboard pattern to fit the door trim profiles and space, then transfer that to the Teak for a clean, tight fitting transition piece in the new week or two. I can't stop now with this little space, I'm on a roll again with it and want to see it done.
I will probably use Pratt-Lambert interior Varnish for the trim and moulding. I also sanded the small, narrow original trim that runs about half way up the wall and stained it to match the new door trim.
The old doors to the house interior which are just a few feet away from the entrance door are now basically black with the varnish/finish aging, so they'll stand out... a lot...... compared to all this new trim, but at least I feel like ONE project is about to be behind me for a change.
Attached Thumbnails
finally-restarted-my-front-door-project-front-door-trim-011.jpg  

Last edited by Leakyroof; 06-27-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Finally restarted my Front Door project

Cell phone pics of installed moulding. I prestained the Plinth blocks at the bottom to make it easier before nailing them in.
Attached Thumbnails
finally-restarted-my-front-door-project-front-door-trim-013.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 PM

All stained now. You can probably see the grain and color difference between the inner and outer trim. The only piece of trim that I was able to reuse was the top piece since that dimension didn't change with the door swap back in 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
finally-restarted-my-front-door-project-front-door-trim-014.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM

This was a long time coming, but for me, a view worth waiting for.
Sorry POTO, I didn't take any pictures of making the trim, or using a Dado head to back cut it, or planing it down to the right thickness with my old lunchbox planer, or the 3/16" round over bit in my router table for the sides.
My most satisfying moment was using my L-N block plane to cut a 45 degree chamfer across the face/top edge of the Plinth blocks. The original ones had a round over at that spot, but I want to change things up a bit and just have a downward chamfer away from the vertical trim with my new blocks.
After a full day of making mouldings, sanding, cutting, fussing; hearing that sound that only a plane can make when it's cutting the wood just right was about the best.
Ribbons of Mahogany coming up at me.
Attached Thumbnails
finally-restarted-my-front-door-project-front-door-trim-015.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 01:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

It looks great. I love the shape of the header. Don't think I've seen that before, but now I'm trying to figure out where that might look right in my life.
Great job!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
It looks great. I love the shape of the header. Don't think I've seen that before, but now I'm trying to figure out where that might look right in my life.
Great job!
VERY common header in early 1910-20 Chicago house trim. Sort of Arts and Crafts. What's funnier is the lack of matching casing trim on some closets where there wasn't any room to add the other trim since the closets are built into a corner. So, you have the single vertical casing on one side only, the header trim, and,,, your closet door.
Thanks for the praise. I would love to spend a good few weeks with Gary Katz and learn how to do all of this properly and, easier.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great looking work! If I'm not mistaken, the cross trim above a door is called the "entableture" if it is made of more than one piece of trim.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Simply beautiful!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
VERY common header in early 1910-20 Chicago house trim. Sort of Arts and Crafts. What's funnier is the lack of matching casing trim on some closets where there wasn't any room to add the other trim since the closets are built into a corner. So, you have the single vertical casing on one side only, the header trim, and,,, your closet door.
Thanks for the praise. I would love to spend a good few weeks with Gary Katz and learn how to do all of this properly and, easier.
His DVD's are pretty informative. Have you checked them out?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
His DVD's are pretty informative. Have you checked them out?
I need to... Also need to find a good book that explains trim and moulding.
So much of the old trim has been gutted in our nearby streets with all the tear downs of older homes like ours.
The trim may have been simpler lines and less ornate, but it's often really good wood hiding under old varnish and paint.
MDF has really taken off for the larger profiles and lower cost compared to solid wood.