talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Default Garage Cabinet Ideas

My garage needs to be "redone". While I can finally, again, fit two cars in it, it's still loaded with "stuff" much of which should probably be tossed. Anyway, i now have ugly plastic shelves which are against the rear wall of the garage. What I'd like is to put up wall mounted cabinets with doors and adjustable shelves. I want them mounted high enough that the car hoods, or bikes, generator, etc. can fit under them.

I'm not sure whether to use european style or face frame. The width available is about 21 feet, so I was thinking of making 7 cabinets, each 3 feet wide. If I do face frame, then, I can "split" each with a center stile, but still have full width shelves. I could, alternatively, do euro style with a fake style attached to one door in each cabinet.

I'm not sure about cabinet height, depth, or door style, although I am thinking of using plywood for the cabinets and hardwood for the doors (either natural or stained, rather than painted).

Has anyone done anything like this? Any plans out there? Pitfalls to avoid?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Garage Cabinet Ideas

Sorry, I can't help you on that one. All my garage cabinets are from IKEA.

But welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone can help out.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM

My only concern with 3' wide cabinets is potential for shelf sag. That's a wide width with no center support. You could provide for shelf supports on the back as well as inside the front center stile if it was fixed and if you went that route.

I have two 3' 32mm cabinets in my garage with no face frame and I do see sag in the shelves with just basic yard / garage stuff in them. If you had a lot of stuff to fill 21' of cabinets, I can imagine you need to plan on reducing the likelihood of sag.

I ended up buying my cabinets at Lowes. By the time I priced out wood and time, it was only slightly more to buy them.

For design ideas, you might look at Gladiator® GarageWorks | Garage Organization | Garage Storage | Workbenches | Tool Storage | Cabinets | Wall Systems for inspiration. If you know Sketchup you can go to Sketchup's 3D warehouse and search for gladiator garage and find 3D models of their cabinets that might give you dimensions and design ideas to consider.

Welcome to the forum.

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Gotta second Neil on the shelf sag. It'll bug you for decades afterward!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I built some pretty rough storage shelves in my garage about 17 years ago - pre-Festool. I had to go into the attic and attach cleats between the joists to fasten cleats to the ceiling below to. I then hung the cleated shelves from the ceiling cleats with vericle stiles at the front and screwed to the wall structure at the rear.

What I ended up with was a 3' high modified face-frame looking cabinet with no doors, 5-1/2 feet off the floor and 24' wide. It only has two shelves, sized to fit Rubbermaid "Tough Totes" between them. I still have room for tool boxes and work benches underneath, if I can get to the front of the garage.

If I were to do it again, I would probably use the same basic desgin, but make it out of better looking lumber. I used framing lumber & 1/2" plywood, which is structurally fine, but not very pretty.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959

Last edited by Wonderwino; 09-06-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM

One possibility to avoid " shelf sag" if u need to span 36" is to use structural engineered lumber, specifically " rim board" by ilevel.
The longest length available is up to 60 feet.
So your 21' length is a non issue. You would want to use the inch and a half thickness and it comes up to 20 inches wide. Later on I could post some links - I'm writing this on my I phone while waiting at the vet. They are typically used for hanging engineered wood I beams. They are available in narrower dimensions as well.

I've used several of these puppies at my new studio
and I'm very happy with them. I used these in unison with Fastcap's speedbrackets.

They have a nice look as well.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 09-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Discussion is really helpful and this is good for me because i also faced the same situation and i did something wrong there.

Last edited by shreenmike; 10-31-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Mike!

What kind of problems did you have with your garage shelves?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959

Tags
cabinet, garage, storage