talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Floating floor

Hi everyone

SWMB just pulled a bait and switch! I signed on to redoing her office/sewing room closet to maximize storage space, and then after we had the whole closet pulled apart she says, "you know since we're going to be making a mess ("we're" ? "mess" ????? who is she referring to?) we might as well tear out this rug and put in a wood floor.

Now, I know enough not to argue............. sometimes...............anyway we are now in the planning stage. It will be going over concrete so I'm planning a floating installation. And of course I know this is the first of the rooms because my office is directly across from hers I'm going to end up doing the same installation (rug to the left, wood to the right, just too tacky for our aesthetic)

Any tips/traps to avoid?

Thanks

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Floating floor

Our "Brazilian cherry" (jatoba) floor (engineered flooring) is glued down to the concrete. They laid down a moisture barrier (epoxy) first. Let it dry for a couple of days (stinky), and glued the laminate down. Great so far. It's important to ensure that your floor is level enough (something like 1/4" over 10 feet).

I helped a guy lay down a floating floor once. It required more clamps than they had suggested. The clamps were metal brackets on fabric straps. Worked great. But if you're going fast, you'll need more than the two they give you.

Other than that, you're better off asking someone who knows something!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Jay,

As you start the looking process for a floating floor, I offer these pieces of advice:

Buy products from a well known manufacturer - lots of garbage out there and you want the product to be around later on if you decide to expand your project.

The words "engineered" and "floating" get interchanged often. They are not the same. An engineered floor is typically a thinner layer of solid wood applied by the manufacturer to a substrate. Depending on the manufacturer they might be able to be installed as a floating floor - a floor that is only attached to itself - or may be glued, nailed, or stapled to the existing subfloor or slab.

A true floating floor - depending on the manufacturer - might require the individual pieces to be glued to each other along the edges, or they may interlock. They require a pad of some sort underneath that allows the floor to move.

If cost is a consideration, check out the cost of the pad and the accessories that you might need such as moldings, transitions, etc. For a small space they can be a large percentage of the total cost.

Let your product acclimate well to your existing space. I doubled the acclimation time recommended by the manufacturer of mine.

If you don't have one yet, budget in a Fein Multimaster to be purchased as part of the project - it will come in handy.

Read the installation instructions for the products you are considering. Do not rely on what the salespeople tell you.

Have fun!

Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

That's good advice, Peter. The floating floor I helped with was glued along the edges. Since then they've developed nice products that just click together (I've not used them). The floors in our house (not floating) were glued to the sealed concrete. No problems so far.

Something to consider might be how hard it would be to replace a few boards if they delaminated due to standing water or something. I don't have any advice on that.

Buy extra boards...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKnoll View Post
Hi everyone

SWMB just pulled a bait and switch! I signed on to redoing her office/sewing room closet to maximize storage space, and then after we had the whole closet pulled apart she says, "you know since we're going to be making a mess ("we're" ? "mess" ????? who is she referring to?) we might as well tear out this rug and put in a wood floor.

Now, I know enough not to argue............. sometimes...............anyway we are now in the planning stage. It will be going over concrete so I'm planning a floating installation. And of course I know this is the first of the rooms because my office is directly across from hers I'm going to end up doing the same installation (rug to the left, wood to the right, just too tacky for our aesthetic)

Any tips/traps to avoid?

Thanks

Jay
Jay,

I know virtually nothing about a floating floor but I do know that no matter what else you do get SWMBO's okay on each and every step. By doing this you will have a floor that is loved by her and you.

It is wonderful seeing you here again. I hope you continue to post if by just letting us follow along with what you are going to do. You have been missed.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Jay,

I know virtually nothing about a floating floor but I do know that no matter what else you do get SWMBO's okay on each and every step. By doing this you will have a floor that is loved by her and you.

It is wonderful seeing you here again. I hope you continue to post if by just letting us follow along with what you are going to do. You have been missed.

Fred

Thanks Fred.

Flooring has been purchased and is acclimating, room is being torn apart, other unplanned jobs have been added to the list (this includes wielding a drywall say and retrofitting storage. SWMBO has been designated as chief closet painter so I can get into the shop and keep the overall project moving.

Jay