talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Default Re: My first home improvement project in my first house...

Tim,

Welcome to our little corner.

Nice job!

Question, is the finish cured rock solid enough for something like the weight small fridge to be sitting on top?

also..... so do you use the tile insets as hot plates when serving up dinner for guests?

ps. Just as a sidebar, If I were to make something like that, I would make it as a separate unit, do all the finishing and then install it from underneath....and then do the backsplash.

cheers,
,,,,,,r

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Hot items + epoxy is a no-no... If I didn't have the epoxy top the slate would be awesome for hot items. It was something I had to take into account but with the AMPLE amount of counter space our kitchen has (the bar alone is 15ft long...) I decided that this was going to be mostly decorative.

I'll try anything once, but I've long since discovered that electricity and I don't mix. Somehow I even managed to botch wiring my trailer harness for my car back when I had a waverunner being pulled by a 300+hp sports car. (Then I got married...) I do know that the outlets there are actually staggered so that every one one is on a different circuit at least.

Oh this was done several months ago so the top is definitely cured enough to hold the fridge...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Hi,

If you need to add support later maybe these -

https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/vi...idproduct=2457

You could hide them behind the fridge or make a decorative wood cover.

Seth
Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Those look cool, Seth. It's not clear form the picture or the write-up: how do you attach them?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Those look cool, Seth. It's not clear form the picture or the write-up: how do you attach them?
Put screws through the bent flange into the stud.

You can barely make out the flange in the photo.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM

I can't seem to find good pics on the net. The FastCap catalog has several good pics

Seth
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 AM

I have used those braces an a few projects. They are great!! Mostly I've used them for desk tops. Long tops, about 25' long at a Mc Donalds training facility. They are very sturdy, a little pricey , but work great.
Tom
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

What are the holes in those Fastcap brackets for?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:13 PM

Could be for running wires or something? Just as a convenience thing perhaps?

Great suggestion though, thanks for turning me on to them! I've got a corner desk my wife wants built and I may go that route and secure it to the wall instead of using off the rack shelving parts like I saw in my WorkBench magazine.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 AM

The holes are for running wires. Work great for puters and such. If you have a calculator or other device that the cord end is too big for the hole you can still zip tie the cords back up and out of the way of legs and feet.
Tom