talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Home Improvement Projects

Home Improvement Projects Foundations to finials, watts to wainscotting, tear-outs to tiling? This is the place!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 AM

Default Backyard Pergola

This is a project I built this fall. I came out of contruction retirement for a short time. Polished off a little of the rust. The customer wanted a pergola type structure. In the end this is what I/we came up with.

She was on a pretty limited budget so I had to use treated SYP. Ugh.:stongue:

I was even able to use a few Festools in the process; my TS 55, MFK 700 and RO 125.

On the lintels and rafters I used MFK to roundover the ends of and the RO 125 to get rid of the saw marks.

The column wrap was cut with the TS 55 and the fluting routed with the MFK.

It was a fun project especially hoisting the 16' 2x10's up by myself.
Attached Thumbnails
backyard-pergola-ryan-pergola-1.jpg   backyard-pergola-ryan-pergola-2.jpg   backyard-pergola-ryan-pergola-3.jpg   backyard-pergola-ryan-pergola-4.jpg  
Old 12-29-2008, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Backyard Pergola

Nice looking job! I especially like the post wrapping, it is going to look fantastic with some vines on it

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Backyard Pergola

That's really nice, Darrin. I had been thinking of building one on my back patio, but have never gotten around to it. In fact, that's why I originally bought my Festools. I had been thinking of making arched diagonal supports, rather than the straight ones. Oh well - still dreaming.

I like your design for notching and supporting the various cross-members. Did you come up with that?