talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2015, 12:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide is out

I don't think so, since the jaws aren't out yet. I've got both and will try to do a comparison later. It probably won't be until late September or early October before I can do it. Sorry.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I saw the new guide at Handworks in May. It looks like a good solid design. I haven't thought too seriously about buying it yet, as I have the old L-N, BCTW HG-1, Both Veritas and another I can't recall the name of because it is back in the box for several years.

Kind of like, "how many squares do you NEED in your shop?"

I did watch Robin Lee use the Veritas MkII and he pointed out that no guide can overcome a poor operator technique. It's all in the way you control pressure with your thumbs or fingers. If I recall correctly, Scott Meeks never uses a guide at all.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:31 PM

I've got several friends that sharpen freehand, but I don't do it enough to get good at it. At College of the Redwoods they grind on a little hand powered grinder and it creates enough of a concave surface that you can feel it "lock in" when you're on both of the outer edges. I need to stick with my guides.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:47 PM

I have no interest in learning to sharpen free hand. I sometimes don't get into the shop for months and I'm betting my muscle memory would keep needing to be refreshed. The jig is fast enough for me, now maybe if I was in my shop everyday, it would be worth it.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:59 AM

When I was at college there was no guide to be seen, just two oil stones sitting on a table. It was a case of learn to sharpen, or you'll never get through the three years.
These days I use both guide and freehand methods. Japanese chisels and plane irons are much easier to sharpen freehand than the western irons.
I have a veritas guide and ones of those grey ones we've all got. Strangely enough I reach for the generic grey one more often than the veritas.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm the same, Okamisan. When I got my Blue Spruce butt chisels I found that they wouldn't fit in any of my guides, so I had to learn to free-hand it. Other than that, I've found the Eclipse to be the best guide. The Veritas (Mark II) is really fussy and hard to adjust. I had the Bridge City guide, but didn't like it. Freehand is a lot faster, and so far just as good as using a guide. But I decided to give the LN one a try. Perhaps it'll be up for sale soon...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 PM

I do sharpen freehand. It is just quicker for me. That said, it isn't as convenient for smaller chisels. I've been waiting for this jig! Guess I didn't get my name on the list like I thought I did, as I had no idea it was out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I saw the new guide at Handworks in May. It looks like a good solid design. I haven't thought too seriously about buying it yet, as I have the old L-N, BCTW HG-1, Both Veritas and another I can't recall the name of because it is back in the box for several years.

Kind of like, "how many squares do you NEED in your shop?"

I did watch Robin Lee use the Veritas MkII and he pointed out that no guide can overcome a poor operator technique. It's all in the way you control pressure with your thumbs or fingers. If I recall correctly, Scott Meeks never uses a guide at all.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:44 PM

New video re: the honing guide is out. It's at:
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/42...ctional-videos
Old 09-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
I don't think so, since the jaws aren't out yet. I've got both and will try to do a comparison later. It probably won't be until late September or early October before I can do it. Sorry.
I look forward to your review. My el-cheapo is seriously lacking and this one looks like a huge improvement
Old 09-18-2015, 02:01 PM

We're vacationing in Maine (how different from New Mexico) and I popped in to the LN mothership in Warren. Got to play with the new honing guide a little bit (till wifey got impatient).

I really like it. The long jaws do a good job of handling short blades, such as spokeshave blades, which have always been a challenge to me.

The company must be doing well. There's a big addition to the factory under construction. I saw a USPS truck pull up and get totally stuffed by the shipping crew.

BTW, I ordered the honing guide, but its already sold out. The sales person assured me the factory is hard at work and churning out more every day, thought my order would be filled this week.