talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM

Default Testing Bevel Gauges

Hello All,

On the BCTW Blog, Poto (Peter) commented that he couldn't get any of his bevel gauges to lock down tight enough to use with a marking knife and he was wondering if the CT-15, from Bridge City with the cam lock would hold; so down to the basement I went and pulled out three of my BCTW gauges, one with a side knob, one with an end lock and the CT-15 with the cam lock. Well only the CT-15 held when used with a marking knife. Which got me thinking that the marking knife test would be a good way to find a quality bevel gauge.

How about it folks, grab your different gauges and try the test and report back. Oh, by the way, any bevel that has a locking knob that won't allow it to sit on a table to set the angle of a saw blade (wing nuts come to mind,) or if the blade and handle don't have parallel side (inside and outside angles won't agree,) should be considered failures.

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Testing Bevel Gauges

While not nearly as fine as the BCT tools this old Stanley No. 18 bevel gauge is good enough for me.

As you can see the locking tab can interfere with the tool sitting flat but it only takes another 1/4 turn to get the tab out of the way and the thread is fine enough to allow that.

Found this sliding bevel gauge thread while looking for images.

The Shinwa sliding bevel gauge is a good value if you don't want to use an antique.
This guy prefers the Pitch Square. Looks interesting.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Hi Michael,

Will either of these gauges hold when the pressure of a marking knife is put against them?

-Rutager
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I would describe the hold as rock solid. I can certainly mark and cut a line against the blade without it moving but I got started with lesser quality tools and learned to work with them. You should be able to strike a line with a knife against a ruler held still with your other hand. I'm more likely to let the whole gauge slip than the blade is to change angles. I sometimes cheat that by adding a bit of PSA abrasive to something too long to hold still (or when the surface is rough).

Back to the sliding bevel gauges, the Shinwa I haven't used (I like the steel handle of the Stanley) but it too uses the same tried and true locking mechanism. Here is the Woodpeck description of their one time tool that used the same means. The blade is sandwiched by two heavy hard washers held snug around the blade by an adjustable screw. The thumb screw is actually a long screw with a tapered end. The last 3/4" is finely threaded so there is plenty of grip for the screw to be tightened. When the screw is tightened the tapered end is driven into a tapered recess between the two heavy washers which causes them to tilt away from the screw and tighten against the blade. Using the screw like that provides a lot of leverage and the blade goes from loose to tight in less than one turn of the screw. For pencil marking it tightens enough with just a quick half turn.

That said, I can move the blade if I deliberately try to. I guess it takes about 20# of force to budge the blade. I don't think it creeps under under pressure. It doesn't move at all and then lurches noticeably.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 AM

I re-tried my BCTW TB-6 bevel gauge with the end lock because I didn't think I had it tightened firmly on the first test and it held against the marking knife. TB-2 with the side knob wouldn't hold with the knob as tight as I could get it.

Anyone else have some different brands they feel like testing? I am curious about the Vesper gauges and the Veritas side clamp which folds into the body.

-Rutager
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 AM

As Michael has already noted, the shinwa bevel gauge is a steal for the price, and much overlooked. They can be tightened down hard. The thumb screw is designed so one can slide a long dowel or steel tube through it to aid in tightening. Simple but effective tool
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM

If the cost dosen't bother you?...
I'd vote for the sliding bevel built by Chris Vesper of VesperToolshttps://www.vespertools.com.au/index...mart&Itemid=34

I have a few and they lock in well, don't move when locked and they look and feel so nice to use.

Last edited by kevjed; 07-17-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM

They look beautiful: although my pockets ain't deep enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjed View Post
If the cost dosen't bother you?...
I'd vote for the sliding bevel built by Chris Vesper of VesperToolshttps://www.vespertools.com.au/index...mart&Itemid=34

I have a few and they lock in well, don't move when locked and the look and feel so nice to use.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

So if you ever wanted a Bridge City TB-6:

you could pretty much do okay with the Vesper:

just change the signature of the signature-series