Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Default Four Chisel Steels Compared

PM-V11, A2, White Steel, O1/HCS

Link to article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...sCompared.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Four Chisel Steels Compared

Very interesting, Derek! Thanks for taking the time to document your findings.
I don't have any A2 chisels or the veritas. However, I do have some white steel chisels (koyamaichi's) and they are very nice. I also use some very old japanese chisels, and they are also fantastic, but not pretty to look at
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Wonderful review Derek - thank you. I'm looking forward to trying the PMV-11 chisels at some point. Right now I only have some A2 LN socket chisels, and a set of A2 Blue Spruce butt chisels. I've been very disappointed at how badly the LN chisels hold an edge. Often (like your Stanleys) it's only a few cuts before it chips and dulls. I've found that different widths have different durabilities - the 1/2" seems to be the worst. Very frustrating.

Your chest is going to be stunning! That's some amazing grain in your firewood!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM

I'm surprised A2 performs so poorly, although I've only ever used A2 with plane irons.
When I have funds, I'm looking forward to swapping all my A2 irons for the new Veritas iron on my bevel-up planes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Interesting article, Derek. Thanks for the link.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Wonderful review Derek - thank you. I'm looking forward to trying the PMV-11 chisels at some point. Right now I only have some A2 LN socket chisels, and a set of A2 Blue Spruce butt chisels. I've been very disappointed at how badly the LN chisels hold an edge. Often (like your Stanleys) it's only a few cuts before it chips and dulls. I've found that different widths have different durabilities - the 1/2" seems to be the worst. Very frustrating.

Your chest is going to be stunning! That's some amazing grain in your firewood!
Peter,

Out of curiosity, what angle are you putting on your LN chisels? 30 or 35?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

It's whatever they came with, Mike.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:33 AM

I think they might come with a 30 degree angle?
I hear anything less than 30 with A2 can be a problem.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Now that I made the effort to look it up, you're right, Okami-san: they come with a 30 degree bevel. It does say that a 35 degree microbevel is advisable for some woods (probably including cherry...). So maybe I need to make a more aggressive microbevel on my LNs to reduce chipping.

But I also hate the way the handle keeps falling off. Drives me nuts. I'm planning on selling them, and getting a set of Blue Spruce bench chisels at some point. The LNs just don't resonate well with me. Yes, I could glue the handles on, but that reduces their utility.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Now that I made the effort to look it up, you're right, Okami-san: they come with a 30 degree bevel. It does say that a 35 degree microbevel is advisable for some woods (probably including cherry...). So maybe I need to make a more aggressive microbevel on my LNs to reduce chipping.

But I also hate the way the handle keeps falling off. Drives me nuts. I'm planning on selling them, and getting a set of Blue Spruce bench chisels at some point. The LNs just don't resonate well with me. Yes, I could glue the handles on, but that reduces their utility.
Peter,

You might try the hair spray trick on the handles.