talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 AM

Default GROUP BUY OFFER – 32.5% off HNT GORDON PLANES from Australia

Mods/Admin: Fred has approved this thread. Not too sure if I’ve placed this in the correct sub-forum, so please move it if you wish. Normally I would put it “Announcements” but on this forum you have to be a Mum or Dad to be able to do that.

Announcing the second HNT Gordon Planes Group Buy – but the first for the USA- and exclusive to talkFestool.

These planes have been specifically designed with a high angle for difficult timbers that are prone to tear out.

You are very welcome to spread the word of this offer amongst your mates on other forums (put a link in to here if it’s allowed). AFAIK, non-members won’t be able to see the images (including my email address), so it could be a good way of increasing the membership of tF – that has certainly happened over here as a result of the various Group Buys that I have run.

WHAT’S ON OFFER:
  • Gidgee timber only (no exceptions as Terry does a special production run)
  • “Bargain” Planes, Plane Sets, and exotic woods are not included
  • 23% discount off Dado Planes
  • 32.5% off all other planes (inc Kits & Radius Plane)
  • 32.5% off Aprons and Tail Vises and spare dogs (inc the new longer 150mm Tail Vise)
  • Colen Clenton Tools are not included (see Tools for Working Wood)
  • Deliveries outside of the USA are welcomed, and the 10% Australian GST (Tax) is has already been deducted from the prices in the spreadsheet
  • Final orders must be in by June 9th 2013
  • Delivery will be end of July/early August if Air freight is used
  • The entire delivery will be sent to one central person in the USA for on-posting
  • Orders from countries outside the US can be shipped direct. Canadian orders would obviously be best to go to the US though.

For example, if 2 or 3 people from Europe wanted to order then we'd just set up a different cluster there to receive one shipment.

It is worth noting that Gidgee is almost as hard as Ebony, with a Janka rating of 19 (Ebony is 20). It is an Acacia from the very dry areas of Queensland, and is very, very stable.

In Australia, Terry Gordon’s planes are regarded as highly desirable because of the short work they make of difficult timbers that are either very hard, highly figured or just plain cranky and ornery. You will see from the price list that there is an extensive range of planes, including:
  • Bench Planes
  • Block Planes
  • Shoulder Planes
  • Rebate Planes (straight & skewed)
  • Moulding Planes
  • Dado Planes (these are also available in metric sizes of 3, 6, 12, 18mm for +$20 each – not shown on the website – but I would have to know about metric sizes by April 30th as that will fit the production schedule)
  • Spokeshaves
  • And a simple, yet highly effective Tail Vise

Refer to attached spreadsheet (below) for prices, or visit the website. HNT GORDON WEBSITE. Just fill in the details at the top of the sheet and email back to me. When you put a quantity of "1" in any line the spreadsheet will self-tally at the top.

You can send an email to this address:

Now that I’ve had a few HNTs for a while I can make some observations:
  • The A55 Trying Plane (fitted with HSS blade) is my “go to” plane, and leaves my Stanleys for dead on just about any timber, but particularly on nasty ones
  • The screw adjustor in the A55 versions is excellent – a 1/10 turn makes a meaningful difference, and there is an absolute minimum of backlash
  • The Bench planes can have the blade reversed to use as a Scraping Plane. HSS blades should be ordered for this (to handle the very high heat generated by scraping)
  • HSS blades are also far less prone to rust (and they are not hard to sharpen)

The Tail Vise
In my opinion the Tail Vise is a beauty. Holds the wood firmly, but with only moderate tensioning of the knob (in fact it just needs a quick flick). It is reasonably quick to travel the rear dog through the whole 100mm length (about 4-5 seconds). This isn’t as fast as a quick release vise, but it means a whole lot less handle hanging outside the bench, and they are pretty easy to install (60-90 minutes).

You can order extra dogs of increased heights, and ½”, ¾” have been the popular choices. It comes with one ¼” high dog. If you do not have any other dogs to use at the front of the vise then you should order an extra ¼’, and if you order other sizes then you should specify 2x of them (I have regretted not doing so).

Please ask whatever questions you like – if I don’t know the answer then I’ll get it for you.

PAYMENT:
Paypal is an option, but you would have to add on about 3.5% to your total. I think that the best way to do that part would be to send your money to a central person in the USA, and then they forward a payment using Forex or similar. I have found OzForex to be very good, and with justabout the best exchange rates. The minimum payment through OzForex is $2000, and I imagine Forex is the same. The payment would be made direct to HNT Gordon, as this is a requirement to avoid the 10% tax (must be paid from, and shipped to an overseas source).

By using Forex or similar you will get a much better exchange rate than a credit card, and a much smaller fee.

SHIPPING & DELIVERY:
For shipping the planes: the method will depend upon the number of planes ordered. I would think that Sea Freight would be the most appropriate for a larger order, although it takes about 3 months. Through Australia Post, sea freight for their maximum weight of 20kgs (44 lbs) would be around $200, or $10/kilo and air freight would be about $330, or $16.50/kilo. Depending on the total size of the order it could be done as one package delivered to your central person, who could then on-post to the recipients. In that case there may well be significantly cheaper sea freighters. I’m happy to organise Air Freight, if required, and perhaps it might be a combination of both.

To give an example of the weight of one plane: the A55 Trying Plane is 1.9 kilos, so $20 approx by sea freight. Not too bad at all, and shows the benefits of freight sharing.

We can discuss all of that in this thread.

In the next post I will put up some pictures.

Edit: Ah, you know that pricelist I mentioned? It's a .xls file that I can't upload here so in the interim I'll convert it to a .pdf and wait to see if a .xls is possible. Mods?

Regards
Brett (FF)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HNT GB USA.pdf (41.2 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by FenceFurniture; 06-25-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Corrected pdf added
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM

Default Re: GROUP BUY OFFER – 34% off HNT GORDON PLANES from Australia

The A55 Smoothing Plane:

This is my A55 Trying Plane. Not bad shavings considering the skill level of the hands behind it

This is the surface left on Spotted Gum straight off the plane:

and then polished only with 2500 grit Jost SG2 abrasive:

The Tail Vise:

Dead easy and quick to install, and suitable for thinner benches:

With a piece of 2x1 ready to plane:

The man hisself:

Cheers
FF
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 AM

Good onya Brett
I have always wanted a few HNT Gordon planes, as I do use quite a bit of bubinga, which can be difficult (it has about the same Janka rating as jarra).
As I'm in Japan, and don't use PayPal, I might be just as well off ordering direct and having them sent straight here instead of via the USA.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Good onya Brett
I have always wanted a few HNT Gordon planes, as I do use quite a bit of bubinga, which can be difficult (it has about the same Janka rating as jarra).
As I'm in Japan, and don't use PayPal, I might be just as well off ordering direct and having them sent straight here instead of via the USA.
Wouldn't want to see you paying full price Okami, and I reckon I have a very cunning solution for that. I'll PM you.

Cheers
Brett
Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 AM

One thing I didn't make clear at all was that orders from countries outside the US can be shipped direct. Canadian orders would obviously be best to go to the US though.

For example, if 2 or 3 people from Europe wanted to order then we'd just set up a different cluster there to receive one shipment. In that particular case I would also have a very cunning plan for payment (I'll be placing an order with Liogier in France in a couple of months - if you get my drift).

It may even be possible to do a similar thing from within the US, as I will be placing fairly regular orders with Lee Valley, and currently under consideration for Australia is a GB of router bits and saw blades from someone like Routerbitworld, Aman, Infinity, Forrest et al.

Ok, let's get smart about this and set up a global trade (I'm quite serious). It avoids the currency losses and fees with sending money overseas, and also means that smaller amounts can be sent.

This could be wickedly good!

You may think that this sounds complex, but with the aid of a trusty spreasheet it is in fact remarkably simple, in fact simpler than doing money transfers. All the money and goods go into a pool (in the spreadsheet) and are then just reallocated. Piece o' cake actually.

I did this for one of our members here just recently. He wanted to purchase a plane from a guy in the US who didn't take credit card or Paypal. Eez problem. No problem - another chap from the US has an order for some Harold & Saxon chisels, so he paid for the plane and I just credited his chisel "account" with the same funds. Too easy.

Last edited by FenceFurniture; 04-23-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 AM

I'll have to see how my funds are before committing. Finances are tight at the moment, and what I want and what I get aren't always the same
Anyhow, what I want ( if funds weren't an issue) is a smoother, try plane, flat and curved spokeshave. I'd also like one of those radius planes. All with HSS blades.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I'll have to see how my funds are before committing. Finances are tight at the moment, and what I want and what I get aren't always the same
Anyhow, what I want ( if funds weren't an issue) is a smoother, try plane, flat and curved spokeshave. I'd also like one of those radius planes. All with HSS blades.
Ok, I'll backburner that, and see how it would fit into what we were discussing.

A55 or traditional for the smoother and trying?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 AM

Traditional for me, Brett. That's the big attraction for me over the western style planes. For jobs like flattening and smoothing a table top, for me, pulling the plane is so much more effective, faster and less effort. Can't beat the Asian style planes for this kind of work.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 AM

In the interest of balanced perspective and also how these planes perform on American timbers, it would be useful if anyone who already has an HNT plane could post their thoughts on them.

There about 2500 floating around the US, so they are not unknown at all, but not widely known. Woodcraft bought a couple of shipments about 8-10 (?) years ago.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 AM

Maybe Fred has some?
I know Eiji had one and loved it. That plane inspired him to start making his own.
As far as Asian style planes go, I reckon these are hard to beat.