talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 PM

Default What is your favorite marking gauge?

There may be no strong opinions here () - but I would like to ask for your favorite marking gauge for furniture joinery. I missed the recent one time tool from Woodpeckers. I have looked at the Glen Drake Tite-Marks sold by Lie Nielsen Lie-Nielsen Toolworks USA | Tite-Marks - and presume good quality there, of course, but have no experience.

What is your favorite? The traditional tap to set seems to require more skill than one with a micro-adjust, but maybe simpler is better. I usually can pick out the most expensive tool from a hundred yards away, to attempt to compensate for my lack of skill, but that doesn't always work out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: What is your favorite marking gauge?

I have the Tite-Mark and the BCTW MG-5. I like them both, but I tend to use the tite-mark more often. The micro adjust is great!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM

I see that Starrett makes what they call a "scratching gauge" Starrett 29B Scratch Gage, (150mm), 64ths Grad:...Starrett 29B Scratch Gage, (150mm), 64ths Grad:... for almost as much $$ as the Tite-Marks by Glen-Drake Toolworks - but it doesn't have the micrometer adjustment. Tite-Marks looks like the way to go - whatever Lie Nielsen sells must be good stuff, apparently.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 AM

Those old Japanese ones are good.
For marking out square joinery I mostly use one of those incra Trules. You know, the ones with the holes every 1/64. Works a treat. I don't bother scratching most of my marking lines, I just start cutting.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Tite Mark, for all of your marking needs........
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

I'm torn between the Tite Mark, Bridge City's MG-3, and the limited-edition LV stainless one that they came out with over Christmas. They're all wonderful!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 AM

I thought that I would mention two marking/cutting gauges that are an absolute steal.

The first is the 35th Anniversary stainless steel wheel cutter from Lee Valley. I do not know how many LV have left (and when they are gone, they are Gone), but jump on one - they are a true bargain for the $30 price tag. Lots of heft, work smoothly, easy to adjust with one hand, lots of registration in the fence, gorgeous to look at ...

Then there is the cheap Kebiki ($18) available from Stu at Tools from Japan.

I purchased a couple recently with the intention of using the blades to make my own cutting gauges (one mortice gauge will create two gauges, one inside and one outside gauge). I have a Kinshiro, which is the ultimate Japanese cutting gauge, but no longer made and very expensive ($xxx).

As an aside, I made a few Western versions of this cutting gauge:
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingGauges.html

The Kebiki is similar to the Kinshiro but very far from the quality, as to be expected at a fraction of the price.

However ... take one Kebiki, remove the inner blade and hone the outer blade (not difficult and watch the laminated steel pop), toss away the horrible wing nut (which is impossible to adjust with one hand) and replace it with a knurled knob .. and you are in business! Here is the original with the modified ...

.. and compared with my Kinshiro ..

Yes, not in the same class, but does it work well!

What I like about the Japanese knives is that they slice so well. You can clean up edges easily, such as a hinge mortice or a rebate wall.

Regards from Perth

Derek

--------------------
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at In The Woodshop
Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post

... The first is the 35th Anniversary stainless steel wheel cutter from Lee Valley. I do not know how many LV have left (and when they are gone, they are Gone), but jump on one - they are a true bargain for the $30 price tag. Lots of heft, work smoothly, easy to adjust with one hand, lots of registration in the fence, gorgeous to look at ...

I got one just a few days ago. You're right, very nice tool at a very good price.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I got one just a few days ago. You're right, very nice tool at a very good price.

Ooh! That does look nice! how many left?
John, isn't that one too many for Your needs? Just send it this way please
Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

I'll third Derek on the LV stainless marking gauge. I got one last Christmas, and I love it. A very pleasant heft, and very comfortable to use.

But I do find that I go to my Glen-Drake Titemark and my BCTW MG-3 for most marking...