talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Clamp storage

I've currently got my clamps (or most of them) hanging on the wall(s). Some clamps don't fit the clamp racks well (ex handclamps, c clamps, band clamps) and I'm looking at a fair amount of wall real estate. Has anyone tried one of the rolling clamp racks from Woodcraft or Rockler? Likes or dislikes? I don't know if this would save space or not. I'm in usual space save mode so whatever is the most efficient.........

Thanks for the help as always,

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Re: Clamp storage

I made some simple triangles that come off the wall and hang 4 parallel clamps on each. I like it better that I can easily take 2 off a triangle with one hand and return them. Compared to laying them out linearly (what I had a long time ago), this takes the space of about 3 clamps but contains 8 and could have been made bigger to hold a couple more.

My other clamps are hanging over edges of benches and cabinets; places that would otherwise not be used.

Wall real estate is primo; some things on my walls are there since forever, but anything new needs to meet a bar to be considered for the wall.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
I made some simple triangles that come off the wall and hang 4 parallel clamps on each. I like it better that I can easily take 2 off a triangle with one hand and return them. Compared to laying them out linearly (what I had a long time ago), this takes the space of about 3 clamps but contains 8 and could have been made bigger to hold a couple more.

My other clamps are hanging over edges of benches and cabinets; places that would otherwise not be used.

Wall real estate is primo; some things on my walls are there since forever, but anything new needs to meet a bar to be considered for the wall.
Picture(s)? Please...........
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:24 PM

I made a Norm Abrams rolling cart using just plywood scraps. It's nice to have them off the wall and when I need them, I can roll the cart close to my assembly table then roll it back in the corner when I don't. I added 2 racks down low for the 12" Jets I've been acquiring lately. They're my fave.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice rack (?), Jim! I have a bunch of Jet clamps also. I did find that their bar clamps are just a little to heavy to fit in Bowclamps. I still need the Jorgensons for that.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks Alex. I don't have bowclamps so forgive me for my ignorance....can't you just clamp on the outside of the t-channel?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

You can clamp outside, but clamping in the channels assures that you setup will not slip under pressure.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM

I've heard the casters can be a bit undersized in diameter for uneven or rough floors where your older flooring that isn't smooth. Also, the weight rating of the supplied casters with a fully loaded rack has been a bit iffy for some users.
So maybe larger wheels/casters should be thought of when pricing one of those racks out?