talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default The Tormek DBS-22

Since Wayne Nagle mentioned the other day that he had just picked up the Tormek drill sharpening jig, I've been doing some research on the attachment. I've been also looking around for a good price, but everyone seems to be asking the same price right now, a hefty $254.99.

It looks like a great way to sharpen bits, which I've always had trouble with. Does anyone else have any experience with this tool? What do you metalworking guys think of the cutting tip it creates?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Re: The Tormek DBS-22

John,

I guess I got lucky. At the Hartville store, it was marked at 214.00 and then I got 20% off to make it 170.00. I'm glad I got it when I did!

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnagle View Post
John,

I guess I got lucky. At the Hartville store, it was marked at 214.00 and then I got 20% off to make it 170.00. I'm glad I got it when I did!

Does it work well, any regrets? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnagle View Post
John,

Wayne,

That is quite a steal. I do not know the guy that did the video but he was wonderful. I went from being quite skeptical to now thinking it could possibly be a great addition.

I know that it is a long video but it is well worth it and I am very glad that John put this up. Thank you dude.

Anyone else considering this jig? It is quite expensive but it looks very worthwhile.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM

I haven't tried it on smaller bits yet but what I've seen so far it's the best edge I've seen on a drill bet. I resharpened some good quality brand new bits as well as some that were in bad shape and they turned out perfect, just like on the tormek video. Cut like butter, stay cool to touch, no walking, and perfect round holes. I'm sure it will get better as my skill gets better.

The kit comes with a magnifier that helps in the initial line up of the bit in the jig. This really helpful. I lined them up with the naked eye and then rechecked the alignment with the magnifier and always needed a little readjustment.

I still need to test it on some smaller bits. everything I did so far was 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch. I want to get a set of bits sharpened for use with the DJ-1 and my doweling jigs and try them out there first.

All in all I think it's well worth the full price. Another advantage with further practice will be playing with the cutting and relief angles for specialized drilling tasks besides wood like mild steel, stainless steel or aluminum, etc.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...