talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Default An afternoon with new shop friends

It's been 6 weeks since I spent any time building something in my shop (a gennou handle does not count). This afternoon I spent some time with a few new tools, which I thought I would share with all of you. Be warned, this post is picture heavy!

Some time back I had come across an interesting board at the local Borg. It was on the rack with pine, but it was unlike anything I had seen. I grabbed it as it looked like it would make an interesting box. Here it is cleaned up ...

So I prepared a piece of Karri (very, very hard wood ... similar to Jarrah in looks. This began life as ex-roofing timber).

Another use for a Veritas skew block plane - working across the grain ...

One of the new friends was this 3 1/2" adjustable square gift from Stu, my mate in Japan.

Stu had sent me three Koyamaichi dovetail chisels that Mr Koyama had ground to my specification - minimum shoulders - and I was looking forward to trying them out with the new gennou I had handled (posted recently).

I also got a chance to use the new LV mini edge plane. I thought that this would be useful when building small boxes with thin sides ..

Look at these shavings!

Back to the box. I had not cut a dovetail in about 8 weeks. I was determined that this would go saw-to-saw. No excuses ..

Still getting to know this saw, but it is real sweet ..

Now the other new tool was the production version of the Knew Concepts fretsaw I had some input into. This is 5" in depth, with a Titanium frame, and the blade angle can be set at 45 degrees either side as well as 90 degrees.

Lee has been supplying it with an Eclipse 18 tpi blade, one that I recommended. The combination is outstanding.

The chisels worked well ..

Look at the tight fit at the shoulder ..

Marking the cheesy pine was "interesting".

It cut easily but I was concerned how fragile it would be ..

Finished ..

Now would it go together?

Dovetails ..

The base is yet to be done. There is some pine left for that (after the lid is cut open).

Thanks for sharing this with me.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Location: Santa Cruz, CA (just another lousy day in paradise)
Default Re: An afternoon with new shop friends

Quite a group of friends you have there

I wanted to hold off in replying, not wanting to appear pushy, but while lots of folks are looking, no one is responding.

Your reviews have been excellent (disclaimer here...I have been the recipient of one of them), and I enjoy reading them as they are clear, concise, and well imaged with clear detail.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 AM

Nice Derek! That certainly is an odd piece of pine. What's the box for? Any pics of it finished?
I'm going to start building some boxes with the piles of Caribbean rosewood shorts I have. Will pick up a knew saw and a 1/4" ? Dovetail chisel. I have a veritas dt saw but while its super comfortable I haven't been able to control it all that well. I've always had better success with japanese handsaws vs western. Planning on boxes with about 10mm thick sides.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I don't know how I've missed this thread this long Derek -- I'm always on the lookout for your great projects & insight.
That is some really nice grained timber that you've given a second life to! It's hard to believe it was used in roofing to start with.
I saw your gennou & handle discussion over at Sawmill Creek -- very nice indeed. Those Veritas skew planes are really starting to appeal to me (to buy), I'm still learning but it seems there are very few situations if any that planes don't cut nicer when skewed.
What dovetail saw are you using here?
Thanks for the great thread.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

I so enjoy reading your posts, Derek. This one really appealed to me because...
<goes out on limb to say publicly>
I love boxes and would very much like to make some, and...
This thread makes me want to get started, and (more importantly)...
Also makes me think it's possible.

Thank you for all that!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:14 AM

Laurie,

You just need a really big bandsaw. C'mon everyones got one.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 AM

Now youre going to get like 30 boxes for Christmas from you adoring fans here on TF.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 AM

Oh I just noticed the hammer. That thing is gorgeous. I want one!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 AM

Hi Eiji

Here is a better picture of the gennou I handled. I thought I had posted the article about gennou handles - obviously not ...?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 AM

Where did the head come from?