talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default New Veritas inset vise

Lee Valley is selling a cool-looking inset vise (similar to a wagon vise) for your workbench: VeritasŪ Inset Vise - Lee Valley Tools

Apparently it installs pretty easily, is flush with the bench top, and gives you 4" of travel. Looks like it might be a nice addition to, say, Laurie's bench...
Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: New Veritas inset vise

Interesting. I've got a couple of these - VeritasŪ Surface Vise - Lee Valley Tools
The issue with them is that the "jaws" are so tall. I'm always finding them in the way. If anybody sees or buys one of these I'd love to read a good review. It looks handy.....

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Lee Valley is selling a cool-looking inset vise (similar to a wagon vise) for your workbench: VeritasŪ Inset Vise - Lee Valley Tools

Apparently it installs pretty easily, is flush with the bench top, and gives you 4" of travel. Looks like it might be a nice addition to, say, Laurie's bench...

That is a neat idea for a bench retrofit but my main purpose for holding a workpiece with dogs would be hand planing and there is an awful lot of exposed metal there that could spoil my tool edges that I spend quite a bit of time getting so sharp...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I'm guessing that it would be easy to bed it another 1/2" deeper and then cover it with a 1/2" board. It'd look better anyway...