talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Auriou rasps advise please

As the title suggests, I'm looking to buy a couple of Auriou rasps. I'm not sure which are best suited to me. I'm not sure about the grain sizes. I want to use the rasps for stool and chair making. I'd like one that cuts pretty fast, but not leaving too rough a finish, then I'd like another for smoothing out the previous rasp marks, to a state that is manageable with sandpaper. I don't want to be sanding out deep rasp marks all day

I know a few people here have Auriou rasps. Any and all advice, experience with these is appreciated
Cheers!
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Auriou rasps advise please

Okamisan, I have the big 9-grain rasp, and I love it. However, I recall when I was using it to shape my settee that I was wishing that I had another one as well - and I can't remember now whether it was a coarser one for hogging more material, or a smoother one for leaving a less-ridged surface. So if you got the 8, 9 and 10, you'd probably do fine. Or maybe a 6, 9 and 12.

You should look at The Best Things web site: Hand-Cut French Rasps at The Best Things I think that's the store of Lee Richards, who I met at the WIA. He carries rasps made by the former employees of Auriou, who now have their own forge. The rasps looked great, come with handles, and were a bit less expensive than the new Auriou rasps.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 AM

Okami . . .

I've used Auriou rasps for a good many years and I think you are very wise to choose them. For what it's worth, if you were willing to expand your rasp repertoire to include, say, four of them, I'd suggest one or the other of two alternatives:

12" grain 4
12" grain 8
10" grain 9
10" grain 13 (or modeller's 7" grain 13)

or

10" grains 7, 9, 11
7" modeller's grain 13

If I were forced to choose one or the other, I'd go with the latter set, but either would cover just about all bases, including your chairmaking.

If I had only two rasps, I'd try to make them the 10" grain 9 and the 7" modeller's rasp.

Regarding the "Hand-cut French Rasps" to which Poto alluded . . . for reasons that I think are very compelling, I would very, very, very strongly suggest that you make the extra effort to purchase the Auriou/Forge de Saint Juery rasps.

Maybe some of this will have been helpful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

This sounds like really good advice. I'd love to hear what you learned about the non-Auriou rasps. I didn't pursue my inspection beyond turning it over in my hand...
Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 AM

Controlarm and Potosan,

Thanks for the sound advise unfortunately I can't stretch the budget to four at the moment two is about my limit for now.
I was thinking maybe the grain 9 and modellers rasp, but wasn't sure, having had no hands on experience.
Is there much difference between say.. grain 9 and grain 10? is there noticeable differences between one grain to the next?

Cheers!
Okami
Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with anything but the grain 9 rasp to say anything, Okamisan. Sorry. But I know I want more...
Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
. . . Is there much difference between say.. grain 9 and grain 10? is there noticeable differences between one grain to the next?
Okami . . .

My apologies for not responding to this more quickly. I wanted to think about it for a little bit before I opened my mouth.

On hard timber the difference between the surfaces left by a 10" grain 9 and a 10" grain 10 rasp will only be visible if the light is just right, but will be markedly noticeable by touch.

On softer timber there will be both a noticeably visible and a tactile difference.

The net effect of moving from a grain 9 to a grain 13, as opposed to from a grain 10 to a grain 13, is a lot like skipping a grade of sandpaper. Especially on soft timber, I'm pretty certain you'd find yourself needing an extra, penultimate, sanding step to get to a final surface that would satisfy you.

You can buy a lot of sandpaper for the price of one Auriou rasp, but that price might be offset to whatever extent you want to factor in the value of your time and the cost of that extra sanding step.

Does any of this make any sense? Probably not very helpful.

Last edited by controlarm; 10-18-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

This is becoming another very useful thread that's a keeper.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlarm View Post
Okami . . .

I've used Auriou rasps for a good many years and I think you are very wise to choose them. For what it's worth, if you were willing to expand your rasp repertoire to include, say, four of them, I'd suggest one or the other of two alternatives:

12" grain 4
12" grain 8
10" grain 9
10" grain 13 (or modeller's 7" grain 13)

or

10" grains 7, 9, 11
7" modeller's grain 13

If I were forced to choose one or the other, I'd go with the latter set, but either would cover just about all bases, including your chairmaking.

If I had only two rasps, I'd try to make them the 10" grain 9 and the 7" modeller's rasp.

Regarding the "Hand-cut French Rasps" to which Poto alluded . . . for reasons that I think are very compelling, I would very, very, very strongly suggest that you make the extra effort to purchase the Auriou/Forge de Saint Juery rasps.

Maybe some of this will have been helpful.
So Dan, my normal storage questions surface. It sounds like you've got a fair collection of these rascals. Where do you store them (or how) and do they need any different care than a regular file. Do they tend towards rust?

Mike
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
So Dan, my normal storage questions surface. It sounds like you've got a fair collection of these rascals. Where do you store them (or how) and do they need any different care than a regular file. Do they tend towards rust?
Mike . . .

I don't have nearly as many as it sounds like you think I do. Once upon a time, in my wild and irresponsible youth, I accumulated rasps and, especially, files the way some people accumulate ballpoint pens. But now everything I have fits nicely into one skinny drawer. I keep as much of my long, flat(ish) stuff as I can in a pair of machinist's tool chests . . . one large and one huge. This includes things like rasps and files, as well as chisels, small saws like dovetail and carcase saws, marking knives (which I still seem to accumulate like ballpoints) and other small layout and measuring tools, spare plane irons, stuff like that.

Here is a bad photograph of the drawer that contains every rasp and file that I now own. In another, much smaller, drawer just above this one is a set of eight Auriou rifflers.

From the bottom up on the left are: Auriou g3, g7, g9, g10, and g11 rasps; two Nicholson mill files, one smooth and the other 2nd cut.

From left to right on the right side of the drawer are: an Auriou g13 modeller's rasp; a longer Nicholson smooth mill file that I use mostly for setting up scrapers; a very course Auriou rattail rasp that comes in handy every once in a while; a Grobet detail file that gets a lot of use; and a little Nicholson file for sharpening auger bits. The little bristle brush is just for cleaning rasps and files (I'm not a fan of the metal-bristle rasp brushes you usually see).

Yes, rust can be an issue if you let it get away from you. It's pretty easy just to keep everything lightly coated with something--I've been using camelia oil for a good while, but any light oil will do (I just think camelia oil smells less, er, oily)--to displace the oxygen.

Told you more than you wanted to hear, didn't I? (And none of this, I'm sorry to say, is giving Okami the slightest bit of help.)

Last edited by controlarm; 10-18-2010 at 07:09 PM.