talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default New Woodpecker router lift

I've always liked Woodpecker tools - they're well thought out, well made, and made in the US. I don't have a router table, but I saw that Woodpecker has come out with a new router lift - it has a crank that can go on the side of the table. The crank is linked to the lift mechanism through a flexible cable. Pretty clever!

Side Winder Router Lift

You can also just purchase the crank for your existing Woodpecker router lift:

http://www.woodpeck.com/sidecrank.html

Last edited by Poto; 09-14-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Re: New Woodpecker router lift

Yup, I've often wanted a PRLv2 for my table, but since I have a Bosch 1617, it doesn't lift it enough for above-table bit changes (so what's the point). But I'd love the microadjust.

It looks like this version got rid of the microadjust wheel replacing it with the crank handle. For my table, the crank would be awkward to install and use; nature of a router table in an extension wing. The PRLv2, though would rock. But need to wait until I upgrade the router in the table first. Meanwhile, i'll be primitive and reach into the dust box for it...
Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 PM

I have a Jessum router table with their adjustment crank on the side. It's amazing how much more productive and accurate you can be with that level of control.

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Anyone seen this one?

Last edited by joraft; 09-14-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 PM

I have a Jessem router table with their adjustment crank on the side. It's amazing how much more productive and accurate you can be with that level of control.

neil
Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I've had the Woodpecker PRL-V2 for a couple of years. It's very convenient with no complaints.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 AM

The original PRLs are on clearance for $200 (I think). Heck of a good price for a great lift. I have the 16 pitch. It really is not too bad to crank up and down for bit changes. I have not tried what some suggest - using a cordless drill with hex bit. Not sure if the 32 would really add any more useful precision. The 16 pitch can be accurately turned to a 254th. Cranking the 32 pitch would get to be a bit of a chore. The side crank looks tempting.

Seth
Old 09-15-2010, 05:17 AM

Some of you may be interested to know, especially Paul, that above the table bit changes are possible with the v2 lift while using the Bosch 1617 router. I did it several times today throughout the process of building a few raised panel drawer fronts. I bought the larger motor pads (350) for the Bosch router, thinking that I would upgrade to the big PC router when I aquired more funds. When changing bits, the smaller wrench (for the spindle) needs to be angled upward somewhat, but it does work, and it's a good grip. Not just the tip of the wrench head. FWIW, I'm not associated with Woodpeckers, and I don't mean to totally refute what is printed in their literature, but on my set-up, it works. I'll try to post some pics if anyone would like some clarification.

TC
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Some of you may be interested to know, especially Paul, that above the table bit changes are possible with the v2 lift while using the Bosch 1617 router. I did it several times today throughout the process of building a few raised panel drawer fronts. I bought the larger motor pads (350) for the Bosch router, thinking that I would upgrade to the big PC router when I aquired more funds. When changing bits, the smaller wrench (for the spindle) needs to be angled upward somewhat, but it does work, and it's a good grip. Not just the tip of the wrench head. FWIW, I'm not associated with Woodpeckers, and I don't mean to totally refute what is printed in their literature, but on my set-up, it works. I'll try to post some pics if anyone would like some clarification.

TC

My wallet damns you, Tom

I would like to see that. The site does say you can do it with an offset wrench, but I'm not always convinced that's not to convince you to buy it. So you are using stock Bosch wrenches with no problem? Bummer, it was recently on their eClub special for something off plus free shipping. I'll have to watch for season sales.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I had forgotten that I had a Bosch 1617 in my PRL-V2 lift before I got the Milwaukee 3-1/2 hp. router (a great router).
I modified a wrench to make the bit changes easier above table with the 1617.

(The wrench looks charred but that's black paint that I sprayed on the end of the wrench.)