talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Founding Member

Default Hand sawing Jatoba

Guy, Gals & Pups,

Yesterday, I decided to rip two five inch wide pieces of Jatoba that ScottW gave me. The board that I was ripping off of was in the rough, 29 inches long and one and five sixteenths thick.

I had picked up a Disston Thumb Hole D8 rip saw off of eBay specifically for this. It is amazing how inexpensively you can buy either the Disstons or the Atkins saws from eBay. The Disstons are from Philadelphia, the Atkins from Indianapolis and then there are the Bishop saws from Cincinnati though I am not familiar with the Bishops.

The Disston Thumb Hole was developed specifically for two handed ripping. The thumb of your left hand fits in the thumb hole and your four fingers wrap over the top of the handle. I used this method to rip both pieces. It actually felt quite natural and was very easy to get into a rhythm. However, regardless of how comfortable ripping those two pieces was not easy. Jatoba is a really dense tough wood. So, naturally I timed myself on the second piece. It took me eleven minutes with two stops but I was pretty pleased with that. Each one of the two pieces weighs just short of seven pounds.

I really enjoyed ripping these boards and yes, I could have used my table saw or bandsaw but except for being really, really sore today I am very pleased.

Fred

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31

Last edited by FredWest; 09-17-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hand sawing Jatoba

I hurt just looking at that rip, Fred. Nice job! Looks like really hard work.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I hurt just looking at that rip, Fred. Nice job! Looks like really hard work.
Padnut,

Thank you very much. What is worse is that I hurt just looking at it.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post

... What is worse is that I hurt just looking at it.
Fred, I'm sure everyone here with a TS and a guide rail is looking at all that work and saying WHY?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Fred, I'm sure everyone here with a TS and a guide rail is looking at all that work and saying WHY?
My thoughts exactly John.

However, for certain persons that do not have electricity, this is/was the only means well, thats if you didn't have access to a small hand held (or bench mounted) beaver, very efficient considering the waste is eaten, digested wood chips makes for a excellent wood putty.

(can someone make a animated graphic of Fred holding a Beaver like a chainsaw?) I would find that endlessly gratifying, and it would bring some point to this thread

Mirko
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
My thoughts exactly John.

However, for certain persons that do not have electricity, this is/was the only means well, thats if you didn't have access to a small hand held (or bench mounted) beaver, very efficient considering the waste is eaten, digested wood chips makes for a excellent wood putty.

(can someone make a animated graphic of Fred holding a Beaver like a chainsaw?) I would find that endlessly gratifying, and it would bring some point to this thread

Mirko
Mirko,

I am sublimating John when I use my hand tools. I pretend, just as you said, that I have no electricity and that I can only work by hand.

Or, because I enjoy it immensely. It need not make sense to anyone but me. However, I like the beaver idea.

Fred
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post

I am sublimating John when I use my hand tools. I pretend, just as you said, that I have no electricity and that I can only work by hand.
Fred, as usual, you are full of beaver wood putty.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Fred, I notice that you have the Kreg router table. They are great except for no place for router bits, tools, etc. I built a cabinet for mine & it really makes things handy.
Attached Thumbnails
hand-sawing-jatoba-img_1784.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Oooo! Check out all those dovetails and finger joints! Nice work, Ron!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Poto, please point me to that post where we discussed posting pictures full size (not thumbnails). I may as well get a handle on that now. Thanks, Ron

Tags
exotic wood, hand saw, old tools