talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:34 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Moisture Meters

Over on another thread Anthony mentioned that he uses a Lignomat Scanner SD Moisture Meter to know what his timber holds. I began thinking about it and being curious as I always am started wondering what other models everyone uses. Buying lumber from various dealers and investing a large amount of time in projects without knowing where the moisture content stands could haunt a person for years after, taking a lot of the fun out of it or costing a lot of money if a professional.
Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Moisture Meters

I wouldn't be without mine, I use a Wagner moisture meter.
When wood comes into my woodshop, I write the moisture content on the face with chalk. It's interesting to note how the moisture content changes as it settles into the woodshop environment.
When I glue up a tabletop, I like to choose the boards with close matching content, probably doesn't make much difference, but it's habbit now
cheers!
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!