talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Default Chisels in a box

In a fortnight it will be the Perth Wood Show. It will be an opportunity to catch up with woodworking friends from the other side of Oz. One is Chris Vesper, and the plan is to join him on his stand and demonstrate cutting dovetails, which will offer an opportunity to show off some of his amazing marking tools.

So I need to take a few tools - definitely no cutting gauge or square needed! Should I take my marking knife .. ! Well I do need a dovetail saw, a fretsaw ... and chisels.

So I decided to build a travel box for the Stanley #750 chisels, a recent project, something that might be more appropriate for the stand than a leather roll (although the latter has its place .. which would you use).

I also made one more chisel to add to the collection. This is now complete. I do not need more.

West Australian She-oak handles (hard enough to be survive a strike from a hammer).

7 chisels for dovetailing: 1/8", 3/16, 1/4. 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1". The 1/8" and 3/16" were ground from 1/4" blades. All have been hollow ground to a sharp edge on the shoulders.

The wooden bar on the lid is to keep the chisels in place when the box is upended.

Now which saw to take .... ?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Chisels in a box

Now wait: you made those chisels? Whoa! How come you haven't posted a thread on the making of such fine specimens of wood-fiber cutitude?

Yes, the box is clearly superior to a leather roll. Particularly with the dovetails. I'm thinking a titanium fretsaw would go awfully well with them...
Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 AM

Oops .. "made" as in ground the blades, not as in shaped the socket. These were all the usual high-sided Stanley blades, and I ground them all to have a fine shoulder for dovetailing. The sides are hollow ground, similar to a Blue Spruce, while retaining the style of a #750. The handles are turned to be longer than the standard #750/LN handle.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-26-2010, 05:56 AM

Derek,

That is very well done.

You really should put all your photos and tutorials into a book!

Cheers
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Unless you have a leather roll with dovetails, I'd take the box.

Lovely work (as always)!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Now wait: you made those chisels? Whoa! How come you haven't posted a thread on the making of such fine specimens of wood-fiber cutitude? ...
Poto, actually I did create such an article - did I not post the link here?

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ailchisel.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

That was a very fun read, Derek. Thanks so much for posting the link. It's entirely possible that you posted that - or something like it - before. I have the memory of a jellyfish (which are not known for their memories)...
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

A great box & great information on your link Derek (as always!).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Brilliant!! thank you very much- learned a lot from the link.