talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Default A not so humble pencil

I wonder who here appreciates a good pencil?

Wood pencils have long been banished from my shop. In the beginning I used to sharpen them with a chisel. The chisel was replaced with an old school grinder sharpener. And then I replaced the wooden pencils.

These days I use 2mm clutch pencils. The ones I prefer are the Caran d'Ache Fixpencil 22. These have become something of a cult as it was the daddy of clutch pencils.

The lead is sharpened with a Gedess Lead Pointer, which I believe once won an award for design in the 1930s. The one I have dates to the 1950s.

This combination creates a fine point, one that is easy to maintain.

Well they are handtools!

Anyone else have a favourite?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: A not so humble pencil

My favorite - for calculus at least - is the Pentel GraphGear 1000. I have a 0.7 and 0.9 lead. I love the heft and balance of it.

Dave's Mechanical Pencils: Pentel Graphgear 1000 PG1015 Mechanical Pencil Review
Old 06-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I'm a sucker for new fangled mechanical pencils and I've bought most of the offerings over the years but I end up going back to my long time favorite Pentel QE405. This page says they started making them in the 90's but I'm sure I have some from the early 80's. They're light, durable, use .5 mm leads and have a generous eraser. They used to be cheap.

Hmmm, looks like they're replaced with a similar design which is also cheap.
The Pentel Twist Erase Frost.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Founding Member

Derek,

I like lead pointers. My favorites (along with a bunch of others) are here: http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/other-...harpeners.html.

Dan.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
The ones I prefer are the Caran d'Ache Fixpencil 22.
Great looking pencil.
In the office I'll use one pen or pencil for awhile (weeks) & then switch to something else - Pentels, Fisher Space pens, Cross pens/pencils, a Montblanc, wooden pencils, Paper Mate Sharpwriter pencils. In the shop lately I've been using knives & darkening the lines with either a Sharpwriter pencil or ball pen. I also bought some of the Striker dura lead carpenter pencils from Lee Valley to try. Carpenter's Retractable Lead Pencil - Lee Valley Tools Striker Hand Tools
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:09 AM

I've used the same trio of German Rotring pencils--a pair of .5mm and a 2mm--since I was in design school (trust me when I say that was a long. long, long, time ago) and they're still going strong. It's a small miracle that I haven't lost one of them.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:23 AM

I use a Lamy Scribble ( about 3.5mm ) . Great Ergo's , great pocket clip . I'm probably going to get it's 0.7mm brother .

Chris
Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 AM

That Caran d'Ache Fixpencil has a very similar shape to the earlier Faber Castell 9400s which have a good feel to them. A.W. Faber Castell TK 9400 Drafting Leadholder | Leadholder - The Drafting Pencil Museum

Seth
Old 06-20-2010, 02:09 PM

A couple of clutch pencils ...

The green one is a Linex, an Australian brand. Very nice but not as nice as the Caran dAche Fixpencil. These both use 2mm. The black hefty number is a 5mm clutch pecil, good for marking out rough work, but too thick for fine detail.

An old pencil sharpener ...

I was intriduced to clutch pencils early in my childhood by my father, an architect. He swore by Faber-Castell. Dad retired a long time along (he turned 96 a few weeks ago). One of the items I inherited was this motorised Faber-Castell clutch pencil sharpener in green bakerlite ...

Unfortunately it no longer works (you pop the pencilin and the weight turns the sharpener on). One of these days I will get it repaired. Any one seen one of these before?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 06-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I am old enough that early on I used clutch pencils on the drafting board (yes, T-squares, parallel bars, one-arm bandits and finally drafting machines). In those days we still used inking on mylar for sales presentation drawings. Then Pentels came along & everyone went to those. Then in the mid 80's CAD came along and the drafting boards went out. I still have a collection of clutch pencils boxed up someplace (probably overhead in the barn) along with my drafting instruments.