talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Non-compressor solutions for finish nailer/pinner

I followed a thread from awhile ago on using the Kobalt regulator and a paint-ball CO2 cartridge to run a finish nailer or pinner. I'm needing a solution like that.

Along the way, there were other suggestions such as the World Pro Instant CO2World Pro Instant CO2 Air system and a more expensive, but nice looking system from McFeely's called the http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/PT-5200/Powertank-CO2-Basic-System (I think this system could be used with a framing nailer, which actually will be super useful in the fall).

The thread about the Kobalt indicated the kit changed and I verified that at Lowe's tonight; given that some people had pressure and recovery issues, I thought to look at the others as well. At the store, the kit was the regulator and attachments for filling basketballs or car tires or a blow gun (all ridiculously bad uses of the compressed CO2). It came with no bottle (not separately; I verified) or even the coiled air hose. So, $90 for just the regulator.

Fredness got the World Pro system back then and made a lot of curlies, er, sorry, said it didn't suffer from the other reported problems of the Kobalt system. Right now, it's priced the same as the Lowe's option (kinda: $99). It includes a 20oz bottle, coil hose, regulator, and adaptor for filling.

The McFeely's system seems off the hook... 3,000+ nails, 28lbs when full, relatively small, not as affected by temperature differences, comes with regulator, chuck, coil hose, tank. This weighs in at $347 though (but, oooh, cool).

My question: has the landscape of CO2 or other compressor-less systems changed or are these the players? If so, as much as I'd like the McFeely's system, I'd likely get the World Pro system as it is just $9 more than the Kobalt but comes with a 20oz bottle to fill and a nicely fitted case with all the connectors (though I'll definitely do Seth's awesome Systainer idea

Thanks for the opinions!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Non-compressor solutions for finish nailer/pinner

Great questions. I'd also be interested in the answers, as there are any number of times that would be the ideal kit to have.
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Well, I got curious and searched around for the maker of the McFeely's kit.

This is what I found and I think I'm really liking it:

PowerTank-COMP Side-Arm

That kit has 2 20oz CO2 powder-coated bottles with (for $35 more) an on/off valve rather than the pin-valve; the on-off valve lets you shut it down before removing the bottle so you don't lose anything.

The COMP regulator is variable pressure and is guaranteed against any freeze-out.

It can deliver up to 160psi and drive up to 190 8d framing nails; about 500 pins. Sweet. Comes with a side-holster, bag for the whole kit, spare bottle with it's own holster that attaches to the other. Looks overall very nice.

The capacities are shown in this PDF.

Another nice thing for the others in here who are pros is that they have a refilling valve for the 20oz bottles. So if you have a 10-50 lbs bottle at home that you get filled at a welding supply store, you can refill the 20 oz from that. Likely would be cheaper overall, too. But that's more greenhouse gas than I need

I don't drive framing nails often, but it is fantastic that it could as I'm installing two dome lights (think that's what it's called) and fixing a friend's soffits in the fall. I really want it for finish nails for crown cuz I keep getting looped into doing that for friends...

Any opinions based on reading that? To me, it looks pretty sweet. The kit on the page is for the pin valve version. For $35 more, you get the on-off values on both bottles. Their main page explains the valve technology and where it came from. Basically it was for off-road vehicle work.

Last edited by PaulMarcel; 06-15-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Found the refill valve
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post

Any opinions based on reading that? To me, it looks pretty sweet. The kit on the page is for the pin valve version. For $35 more, you get the on-off values on both bottles. Their main page explains the valve technology and where it came from. Basically it was for off-road vehicle work.

The only advice I'd give you on this right now is that bottle life if limited (they are date stamped). You will sooner than you think, reach the point where no one will refill the bottle and you are buying new ones. That's one good thing about the Lowes (Kobalt, Rhino) bottles is that you don't have to worry about the bottles. One place I used to have fill my bottles quit filling them, then I started going to sports authority and half the time they would be out of air. Got tired of wasting my time running around getting them filled, so just started getting the Lowes bottles. At less than $10 bucks to exchange them and no hassle it's worked out better for me.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM

Hi,

A couple notes. I am still using my system with no problems. I too got tired of going places to refill bottles. I did not want to pay the price for the Lowes exchanges. and I would still have had to drive to do that. So I went with leasing a 50# tank (siphon tank) from a welding supplier. I now have all the CO2 I need right at home and for a good price. One year lease was $40 + about $35 for the 50# fill. I am using 9oz bottles , allowing for bleed off I should get about 50 fills.

I would not use the PowerTank refill valve as the set up does not allow for weighing the bottle as you fill it. The only way to know that you have the correct amount in the bottle is to weigh it. It can become tedious to unscrew, check weight, re-attach, unscrew check weight , over and over for one refill. Not to mention that on the first go you could greatly overfill and blow the safety valve on the bottle.

Get this type with a hose and use a hanging scale.
Paintball CO2 Fill Station Tank Bottle Refill Kobalt Co - eBay (item 200475013005 end time Jun-20-10 12:45:14 PDT)

Digital Hanging Scale CO2 Paintball Fill Station Refill - eBay (item 390208451710 end time Jun-19-10 08:59:39 PDT)

You can watch the weight as it goes in. I have used both the single valve set ups and the two valve (seperate bleed valve) the two valve is much handier to use.

OK, I now see that Power Tank has several different fill set ups available. The one I would not want to use is the Power Filler #1 Transfill Tool.

BTW the one I linked to is the one I have -- works very well.

PS- the "bottle life" is five years after the date stamped on the bottle.

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 06-16-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Great info Seth! Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 02:44 PM

I hate compressors and airlines , the solution that has worked for me is a Paslode 16ga impulse nailer . I kick myself for not buying one ten years or so ago when they first came out .

Chris
Old 06-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Got to agree with Chris I have the framer and the angled 16 gauge finish nailer.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:22 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I bought a Paslode nailer when I built my barn -- I don't remember what model it is & since I don't use many nails I haven't used it for a few years but it certainly is handy when climbing around up in the air with no hoses.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 AM

The aluminum bottles have an unlimited life provided that they pass hydrostatic testing every five years from date of manufacture.

This would be another option:
Female Stabilizer Remote Hose Assembly, Industrial [HOSE057] - $140.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop!, Where Custom Still Means Something

Instead of on/off valves this is another option:
Universal Fill Adapter UFA [CAHW015] - $16.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop!, Where Custom Still Means Something

The regular pin type tank valve is screwed into the UFA then the knob is screwed in to depress the pin open. When you are done, you back off the knob a bit to seal the pin valve then purge the line.

Certain regulators can hold gas in the reg even though the tank is off or has been disconnected so be careful. Probably not enough for a full power actuation, just enough to make trouble for you

With summer starting, keeping the tanks out of the sun is very important. This includes storage of the tank in vehicles. The safety burst disc will pop and vent all of the gas out of the tank. Then you have no gas and will have to replace the burst disc before filling the tank.

If you are using a siphon bulk tank to fill a smaller tank, you will get to use about 60% of the bulk tank in fills. A trick to get efficient fills is to put the nailgun tank into the freezer and get it frosty cold then fill it with the bulk tank then weigh it. The tank is being filled because of the pressure difference.

Get spare tank orings, valve caps to protect the valve threads and a scale to check the fill. Do not overfill. When you get the new tank, weigh it totally empty then mark the tank with the tare weight.