talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Default Glazing Point Driver

Anyone have one? Good, bad,? Brands? Different types?

Looking into getting one.

FletcherŽ Frame Master Point Driver (07-500) - Glazier Points - Ace Hardware

Seth
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Glazing Point Driver

Seth,

You might want to look at this one. Shoots both rigid and flexible points. Woodcraft carries them. Half the price as what you showed. Do a google search for Logan Dual Drive and you can save some more money.

Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 PM

I am looking at this for doing windows as opposed to picture frames. It appears to do that job but am I on the right track?

Seth
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 AM

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking picture framing.

Window glazing points are entirely different and are usually applied using a putty knife. Let me look around.

Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 AM

Seth,

Yes that tool is designed to shoot glazier's points. Even my Grandfather - a painter in South Africa - had a similar tool. They go back a long way. If you ever hear a painter talk about boxing paints - mixing multiple paint buckets together to make sure one batch matches the next - that came from his days of buying all the ingredients - many in dry powder boxes - to ensure a consistent batch.

Certainly you could buy the tool to shoot the diamond shape points in if you have many to do, but otherwise a putty knife and these will work:
Attached Thumbnails
glazing-point-driver-glazier-points.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 04:34 AM

I have done regular points with a putty knife. Currently I will be doing three storm windows, and the potential for about twenty more.

Seth
Old 04-13-2010, 03:22 PM

OK, here is the scoop.

The Logan Dual Drive Buy Logan Dual Drive at Woodcraft.com does not appear to drive glaziers points. The dual is for rigid and flexible framing points.

The Fletcher Framemaster framingsupplies-shop.com - Framing Equipment :: Fletcher-Terry Index :: FrameMaster Point Driver :: FrameMaster Point Driver drives ridgid framers pts, as well as glaziers pts.

The Fletcher Fleximaster framingsupplies-shop.com - Framing Equipment :: Fletcher-Terry Index :: FlexiMaster Point Driver :: FlexiMaster Point Driver only drives flexible framers pts.

Pneumatic versions are also availiable - I think this one framingsupplies-shop.com - Framing Equipment :: Fletcher-Terry Index :: FrameMaster Point Driver (Pneumatic) :: Pneumatic FrameMaster only fires framers pts. I am about 99% sure that Porter Cable makes the pneumatic portion - two versions of this also - one for flexible pts and one for ridgid pts.

Here is a one at a time version http://www.fletcherviscom.com/framin...ramemate.shtml

Here is a forum thread withsome info on glaziers pts and tools- Historic HomeWorks Forum :: View topic - Glazing Points (with Video)

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 04-13-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Seth,
That is a great forum and the website for framing supplies also very useful -- Thanks for the links & tip!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:02 PM

If you are looking for a professional grade glazing point gun for glazing windows rather than picture frames the Pointix Driver is very good.

It takes diamonds and triangles and can be set for depth of penetration via an adjustable spring. It will happily drive into new hardwood.

We have used these for years and they have had literally many tens of thousands of points through them.

http://http://www.sashupgrades.co.uk/pointix-driver.html