talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Default Andrew is taking saw orders again!

Those that wanted a saw from Andrew Lunn, he has reopened taking order.

"Andrew Lunn at Eccentric Toolworks has resumed taking orders for his custom saws.

Let the whuppings and hand-wringing commence!

Last year Lunn stopped taking new orders so he could concentrate on eliminating his backlog of orders and figure out a pricing structure that would allow the former paramedic to make a living. This week, Lunn resumed taking orders and raised his base prices. A dovetail saw starts at $500."

For the full story from Chris Schwartz's blog Woodworking blog Woodworking Magazine - Eccentric Toolworks Taking Orders Again
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Andrew is taking saw orders again!

Quote:
All saws come with handles that are very carefully shaped. They are soft and comfortable and incorporate actual measurements of your hand.

I've never used custom saw handles, but from experience with custom-stocked revolvers I can say that it makes a huge difference in both accuracy and comfort.

Ned
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Founding Member

Shawn,

Lovely work!

Thanks for posting this,

Dan.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post

I've never used custom saw handles,
Ned

They may be comfortable, but why are they always so god awful ugly? It might just be me but I really hate that look.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
They may be comfortable, but why are they always so god awful ugly? It might just be me but I really hate that look.
The combat stocks aren't as extreme as the target styles. And beauty is as beauty does. Especially if your life depends on it.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post

"Andrew Lunn at Eccentric Toolworks has resumed taking orders for his custom saws.

Last year Lunn stopped taking new orders so he could concentrate on eliminating his backlog of orders and figure out a pricing structure that would allow the former paramedic to make a living. This week, Lunn resumed taking orders and raised his base prices. A dovetail saw starts at $500."

For the full story from Chris Schwartz's blog Woodworking blog Woodworking Magazine - Eccentric Toolworks Taking Orders Again
I notice there was a price increase concurrent with eliminating the hand carved decoration -- I was on the waiting list (before he stopped taking orders) for a $250. model.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post

Shawn, et al,,

I have a dovetail and a carcass saw on order from Andrew. I ordered both of them at the WIA at Valley Forge last October. Andrew told me then it would be a year before I received them but after trying his saws there I can safely say that his reputation as making the best saws in the world is truly deserved. I cannot wait to get my saws in my hands.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I'll assume that the waiting list that I was on was eliminated when he ceased accepting orders. I emailed him back whenever that was but he never replied back. At the least I would have expected to hear from him that my price had doubled. I'm quite sure they are wonderful saws but I'll do just fine with either a LN or Rob Cosman saw. I actually don't do bad with the Japanese pull saw that Okami recommended.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I'll assume that the waiting list that I was on was eliminated when he ceased accepting orders. I emailed him back whenever that was but he never replied back. At the least I would have expected to hear from him that my price had doubled. I'm quite sure they are wonderful saws but I'll do just fine with either a LN or Rob Cosman saw. I actually don't do bad with the Japanese pull saw that Okami recommended.
Ron,

If you ordered a saw from Andrew and you were on his waiting list then you are still on the waiting list. If Andrew did not get back to you he either overlooked it somehow or it ended up in his spam filter. I also do not think that any back orders are being priced differently. Hmm, by that I mean, you will pay what you agreed upon prior to the price increase. In the meantime, I just called Andrew and left a message. He may be away for the weekend but either way within a few days this will all be cleared up.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 04-03-2010, 02:04 AM

Wow, out of my price range, but all the same they must be very nice saws

Ron, that little Japanese saw is hard to beat for the price and it cuts very nicely. You can't really go wrong with it.
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile: