talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Default Harbor Freight POS

I bought 4 of these guys on a whim a couple of weeks ago

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Just blew out the clamping mechanism on all of them.

I'm not the strongest guy in the world, in fact, I baby my hands because I'm beginning to feel the effects of arthritis. Nevertheless, just using hand pressure, not even leaning into the clamp to increase its grip, caused them to fail.

I've bought cheap(er) clamps from Lee Valley and had good luck with them, guess but this experiment certainly was a failure
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Harbor Freight POS

cheap is expensive
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 PM

I always buy the best it is less expensive than buying cheap multiple times.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 AM
Founding Member

Jay,

I hear your pain. Been there. done that.

Typically, I try to get good quality tools. But sometimes I need a tool quickly. First, I try some local stores who have decent quality tools. Then I head for Homers or Lowers. Failing that, I go to a local HF (about 3 miles away).

One of the bizarre things that I've found is that certain types of tools are very difficult to buy locally except at HF. Torx screwdrivers and bits are an example.

The other issue is quality. Except for name brands, a lot of the tools at the BORG units are little better than HF. An example... I decided that to get a new set of screwdrivers a few months ago. I didn't like the looks of what was available at HD and Lowes, but I needed something. So I bought a Husky set at HD. Bad choice. After about three uses, the #2 Phillips was rounded off! Total garbage.

Last weekend, I got a nice set of a Wera screwdrivers at Hardwicks Hardware in Seattle. The difference is amazing and the cost wasn't that much different than the HD junk.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

+2 on the Wera screw drivers... love the laser etched ones.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
... love the laser etched ones.
Those are the ones I got. It's hard for me to believe that I can feel that good about a mundane tool like a screwdriver.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Those are the ones I got. It's hard for me to believe that I can feel that good about a mundane tool like a screwdriver.

Regards,

Dan.
It's those Germans again...
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post

+2 on the Wera screw drivers...
Their prices are ridiculous, but it's hard to beat the quality of Snap-On tools (hopefully still American made ).

I have Snap-On screwdrivers that I purchased when I was 20 years old (more than a few years ago) and they look almost like the day I got them.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

One of the bizarre things that I've found is that certain types of tools are very difficult to buy locally except at HF...
That's true.

Just about everything at HF is a POS, but sometimes there's little choice.

Last week I bought an HF pallet jack for moving big equiment around, both because no one else in town sold them, and it was on sale for $199. It has a 5000 (advertised) capacity and works great. If I use it for a few months and sell it for $100 it will still be worth it to me.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Their prices are ridiculous, but it's hard to beat the quality of Snap-On tools (hopefully still American made ).

I have Snap-On screwdrivers that I purchased when I was 20 years old (more than a few years ago) and they look almost like the day I got them.
Aah, do you have ANY tools that don't look like the day you got them???