talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 PM

Default Lathe spindle steady

Ron mentioned he wanted to see it done. I had a little time today to devote to such things, so took a jpeg.
Its really just a hoop of baltic birch. The inside r is 8 3/4", it's 3" wide, and its 3 layers thick.
The bottom has a block just shallower than the bed ways that holds it more or less 90 deg to the work. The arms are ply with routed slots, and the wheels are 80mm size rollerblade wheels with 7 bearing sets.
It really didnt take much, a tiny bit of math to make the centers all line up, and some nuts and bolts from the hardware store.
Here I just tested it up to 1000 rpms (standing to the side) and even though it vibrated a little it was less than with just the tailstock. And as you can see, I moved the tailstock away, so that end is just riding on the rest for the test drive.
I think I'd like to make another 1 or 2 now.
lathe-spindle-steady-steadyrest.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Lathe spindle steady

Nice, RW. Would it be easier to use if it were split? Either hinged or two pieces bolted together, being able to remove a good bit of the top/front seems like it would be good.

It may be rigid enough that you could just remove a chunk from one area, turning it from an O to a C.

Ned
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Very nicely done Randy. It appears to be a very sturdy, useful add to your new lathe.
I see what appears to be a casting extending out from the back of the tailstock, is that part of a (Powermatic) copy attachment? If so, we'll need to pictures of that once it's all rigged up.

I need to do a major re-arrangement of my garage this summer & claim some more floor space for things like lathes, work benches, etc.

Last edited by RONWEN; 03-07-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 AM

Ned - my original drawing for the thing actually has a cutout. I built it solid thinking I could always remove a hunk later. Its one of those pro / con propositions. Its more sturdy like this, but you have to plan ahead. You can't be pulling the tailstock off an on repeatedly during the process without injecting a little variance into the equation.
I think the hoop itself is sufficiently sturdy for what its being asked to do, but I'm sorely tempted to stiffen the base itself a little more. A couple of scraps tagged onto the sides would give it a wider footprint on the bed of the lathe.
I really don't know. Having just finished this afternoon, I'm going to use it now for a bit and see how it works. What works, what could stand revision.
When I'm settled, I'll build another 1 or 2.
I stretched a little in buying the lathe itself, so no duplicator is coming in the near future. I have time.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

If it becomes a problem you could always make the steady rest hinge open / pin closed like on a regular metal lathe steady rest.
I still have a steady rest and follower rest (both heavy cast steel) from my metal lathe stored in my barn somewhere.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
If it becomes a problem you could always make the steady rest hinge open / pin closed like on a regular metal lathe steady rest.
I still have a steady rest and follower rest (both heavy cast steel) from my metal lathe stored in my barn somewhere.
Too bad your barn is so far away from me...
Tom
Old 03-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Way too heavy to ship. I actually think they are in a fairly large steel weight box (filled with steel) that I used to carry on the back of one of my tractors in the Winter time for traction (before I had a 4-wheel drive tractor).
The lathe was a ~15" Clausing so the rests are very large & heavy.