talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Thumbs up Qwas Rail Fence aka Qwas Square

I have been busy working on a new tool and testing it. The tool was an idea from James Watriss on the FOG. We have discussed it over there, made a prototype, and have now completed testing. It is now ready for production.

qwas-rail-fence-aka-qwas-square-rail-fence-2.jpg

The tool, the Qwas Square or Rail Fence, is an aluminum crosscut fence for the Festool guide rails. It slides onto the bottom of the guide rail, bolts in place at a precise right angle to the cutting edge to allow for an accurate cut. The 10 inch width of the Rail Fence is how much guide rail space it uses, which is just a little less than what the TS-55 needs to sit on. The reference edge is 17 inches long with about 14 inches extending to the left of the guide rail.

qwas-rail-fence-aka-qwas-square-rail-fence-ts55-side.jpg

The Qwas Square will require that you remove 10-12 inch of rubber from the guide rail. Only the outer rubber strip needs to be removed. The easy way to remove the rubber is to heat it with a hair dryer then scrape it off.

The Qwas Square has 2 different ways to accurately align it with the guide rail. No tools required. The slotted screw holes also allow for any square to be used for alignment. How accurate is it? We are keeping the error to .002 inch per foot. However most errors will not be from the fence but rather from the reference edge that the fence rides on. Any error on the reference edge is also added to the total error. A thin 1/64 inch sliver on the reference edge at the end of the fence can cause a 3/64 error over a 48 inch cut. It is important to have a clean reference edge to get a good accurate cut.

qwas-rail-fence-aka-qwas-square-rail-fence-back-rail.jpg Back of Rail.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	3611

To use the Qwas Square simply put it on your workpiece, tilt the rail slightly so the far end of the rail raises at least a few inches. Slide the rail and fence assembly to the cut line. Lower the fence, put the plunge saw on the rail and cut.

The Qwas Square has screw holes near the edges so you can attach auxiliary fence, be it wood, aluminum extrusion, etc.

qwas-rail-fence-aka-qwas-square-rail-fence-wwood-fence2.jpg

The Rail Fence also functions as an accurate stand alone 30/60 degree right triangle. With a couple of Qwas Dogs, it can be used on the MFT to get accurate 30 and 60 degree cuts.

qwas-rail-fence-aka-qwas-square-rail-fence-qwas-dogs.jpg Qwas Dogs.jpg
Views:	1466
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	3613

You can get more details by going to QwasSquare. All pictures are of the prototype, some minor changes may occur in the actual product.

We expect to be shipping the final product by March 22. Call Timmy at Festool Junkie and pre-order now. The first run is a limited quantity to test the market place so get your order in now. Festool Junkie website pre-order: Qwas Rail Fence @ Festool Junkie - More than Just Tools

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Qwas; 03-12-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Fix link
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 AM
A Festool User First

Send a message via AIM to TimmyC Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyC Send a message via Skype™ to TimmyC
Default Re: Qwas Rail Fence

Well Dr. Qwas has done it again!

This is yet another outstanding invention from Dr.Qwas. Continuing with the
Qwas Branding, the Qwas Rail Fence will be made of 1/8 Aluminum, and will
be black anodized.

Included with the actual fence will be the brass thumb
screws and bolts that allow you to fasten your Qwas Rail Fence to the rail.
The initial Prototype was cut with water jets today, and will be made
available for final on Monday or Tuesday. Once the final is approved, the
milling aspect is put "box 1" for fabrication. We have been using the jig for
several days, and it is a true gem; Time saving, repetitive, and accurate as all get out.

Festool Junkie is offering a Pre-Order Yours Today for $54.99 Plus Shipping on the Qwas Rail Fence. The initial run is for limited to 50 so act quickly, they are moving along nicely.
get em whilst the gettin' is hot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM

I just want to clarify that it will be made from 3/16 inch thick aluminum plate. Our prototype was 1/8 inch and it seems pretty strong, but I like the idea of a little more strength and the extra thickness for the reference edge that the 3/16 will give.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I'm encouraged to hear that you've made it thicker (.190") and especially that the length of register is 17". I typically use my 18" Woodpecker square to align the rail for perpendicular cuts. As you say, the more length that you can register the better the averaging of the workpiece (register) edge.
How does it "lock" into position once you've initially aligned it on the rail with a square?
Nice product addition Steve!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 AM

Thanks Ron. It locks in place with 2 bolts and brass thumbscrews (included with the fence). No need to use a square to align it unless you really feel like you must. It has 2 different ways that it will align itself (in the instructions included with the fence).
Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM

I placed my order and I'm looking forward to this thing. Thanks for making this happen Steve.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I just tried to order one over at Festool Junkie -- for some reason I can't seem to view the shopping cart or checkout.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Ron, try calling Festool Junkie.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 PM

It's probably just a glitch (the server wanted a day off ) I'll try it Monday.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Founding Member

Steve,

The prototype looks like it's painted. Will the production version be painted? (I prefer raw aluminum.)

Regards,

Dan.