talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 AM

Default qwas dogs to join tables

I have 3 or the new mft/3 tables. I was thinking on joining them long side to long side and using qwas dogs , rail dogs , straight edges, long guide rails etc. to try to line up the holes in all three tables. I noticed Corwin had joined two tables short ends together. Would this be possible and would it make sense. It would give a huge work surface. Any ideas from Qwas or other members.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 AM

Default Re: qwas dogs to join tables

I was thinking the same thing. Use a big ol fence and rip 2 or 3 sheet goods at once. How nice is that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 AM

Welcome to the forum, both of you. There is a thread right here in this section on that very subject: Qwas Dog Tips

The author is Poto who is around here regularly if you have questions. I only have 1 MFT so I've never tried it. As I remember, it was easy to align holes except for 45 degrees across tables.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

I have my two MFT1080's joined end to end (short ends together) to give a nice long work surface. I love it. Sometimes I'll pull them apart to give a longer surface (like when I was making the diningroom table), or put them side-by-side. Though in this latter configuration I can't reach across them.

In my Qwas Dogs thread I show how you can use the Qwas dogs and a guide rail to perfectly align two tables. It's dead simple. I have 3 pairs of Qwas dogs, and wouldn't want any fewer. Love them!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconn86031 View Post
I have 3 or the new mft/3 tables. I was thinking on joining them long side to long side and using qwas dogs , rail dogs , straight edges, long guide rails etc. to try to line up the holes in all three tables. I noticed Corwin had joined two tables short ends together. Would this be possible and would it make sense. It would give a huge work surface. Any ideas from Qwas or other members.
It has been almost 2 years since I have spent any time trying to line up the holes across multiple tables. At that time I could not join my MFT800 with one of my MFT1080s and get the holes to align properly. I loosened the screws that fasten the tops as Peter describes in his thread, but it just wasn't going to happen. And I certainly spent a lot of time trying. But don't let that stop you from trying with your tables -- it worked fine for Peter. And it certainly is a setup that makes sense.

I really liked Steve's idea on using the holes and spent a great deal of time and a great deal of money towards that effort -- purchased a metal lathe to make aluminum dogs before Steve had announced that he would offer his Qwas Dogs. But the whole idea relies on the fact that the holes are so accurately located and are the same size. One of my tables has smaller holes than the others. I could have ordered another top and hoped that it would match my others. Then there was the problem of table sag. This causes the holes to become too far out of alignment for the dogs to be useful. Again, I could have added bracing to flatten the tops. All in all it just became too fussy for my tables and I returned my attention to methods that index off the top of your material rather than the MFT's surface. I would think these issues that I faced could be overcome if encountered and you would be happy with the speed and ease that the Qwas dog approach offers.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I don't want to discourage you but rather want to inform you of the issues that can occur. So, get out your calipers and measure the holes in your tables. If they measure alike, go for the dogs.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Corwin, did you try flipping one of the tops over? It's possible that the hole pattern on one was too close to the edge.

Also, I suppose you were trying to align the frames and the tops. If the tops are trimmed differently at the factory you won't be able to align all four components unless you luck out with the flipping idea. In that case, I'd try to align the tops and not worry about the frames.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have the same problem with the holes being different sizes - I have three table tops, and they're all different. Fortunately Steve made me some custom Qwas Dogs, so I have some that will fit in every top. I've also found that the smaller holes are gradually getting a little larger, so the dogs aren't as much of a squeeze as they used to be.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Corwin, did you try flipping one of the tops over? It's possible that the hole pattern on one was too close to the edge.

Also, I suppose you were trying to align the frames and the tops. If the tops are trimmed differently at the factory you won't be able to align all four components unless you luck out with the flipping idea. In that case, I'd try to align the tops and not worry about the frames.
No, I didn't try flipping the top over. I was not attempting to align the frames -- the 800 needed to be offset somewhat from the 1080. I used shims between the frames of the two tables and still had issues. I even had loosened both tops and both frames and tried to align the holes and retighten everything without any luck. The holes just weren't going to line up with any precision. Very frustrating.

I had much better luck when aligning a couple MFT1080s. Here I also had the different hole size issue. Could have made dogs to fit too, but I was beginning to see that there were just too many potential problems for me.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM

I have a long guide around 106" or so. The reason I wanted to join them side be side and not end to end was so I would have good width and close to 8 ft length. I love the idea of simply using the holes for alignment. I haven't had time to read Poto post yet , but will tonight. I also rember Qwas saying something about routing a 1/4 groove in the tables and putting an aluminum bar in the groove, I wonder if this would work going all the way aroung them and joining the aluminum at the ends at true 90. Anyway I will get back to you guys and thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM

Yes, I used the groove and aluminum bar to hold my sliding fence. It works great for that but the MDF has limited strength. I would be afraid any wiggling between the 2 tables might break out the MDF.