talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 AM

Default how do you get black marks off steel

Ok I was working late and dribbled some glue on one of my purty LN chisels. I didnt notice until the next day. It popped right off but left a nastly black stain where the glue was. How is that easily removed?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 AM

Default Re: how do you get black marks off steel

A rub with some steel wool might dull the stain a bit, but probably not totally removed...You might have to just put that down as a battle scar

Speaking of battle scared chisels
Attached Thumbnails
how-do-you-get-black-marks-758.jpg像 758.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	3254  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
Ok I was working late and dribbled some glue on one of my purty LN chisels. I didnt notice until the next day. It popped right off but left a nastly black stain where the glue was. How is that easily removed?
Try the steel wool first, like Okami suggests, but if that doesn't get it some 600 or 800 silicon carbide paper hand held will.
If that doesn't get it a scotchbrite wheel will.
If that doesn't get it a strong wire brush wheel on your bench grinder will.
If that doesn't get it a 400 grit belt with soft backing on a belt grinder (no to be confused with a belt sander) will.
If that dosen't get it don't forget to clean up after glueing.
Actually I believe it won't have had time to get a strong chemical reaction going and it will just be a surface stain. But I'm not that experienced as I don't mix glue and chisels
Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM

I've used Bar Keeper's Friend (essentially oxalic acid) to get rust off of stainless steel on our sail boat. I don't know what it would do to the rest of the polish on the back of the chisel though

Bar Keepers Friend
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I'd try a polishing wheel first, and then 600 grit or finer abrasive.

Actually, I'd try Jay's suggestion first.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM

If you can't get the black marks off, you can always try 'bluing' them the way they do rifle barrels.

After you finally do get the chisel cleaned up, you might want to protect them from future glue-ups using a product from CorrosionX:

e-tackle.com - CorrosionX Products
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM

I've not tried this but it is an old method to remove rust and black stains from rusting steel.

Make a tube out of 2" or so PVC. Cap one end, a little longer than the chisel.. Place the chisel inside the tube (minus the wooden handle). Fill it with water. Peel and quarter a potato lengthwise and add the potato wedges into the tube, leaving the water level to the top and the chisel completely submerged. Then seal the top with another pvc cap. Let this cook for two weeks. Then open and dump out. It will smell pretty bad from the rotting potato. Discard the water and sludge. Wipe the chisel off and clean it up with a scotch bright. Re oil the chisel.

And let me know how it works... I've been wanting to try it.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnagle View Post
I've not tried this but it is an old method to remove rust and black stains from rusting steel.

Make a tube out of 2" or so PVC. Cap one end, a little longer than the chisel.. Place the chisel inside the tube (minus the wooden handle). Fill it with water. Peel and quarter a potato lengthwise and add the potato wedges into the tube, leaving the water level to the top and the chisel completely submerged. Then seal the top with another pvc cap. Let this cook for two weeks. Then open and dump out. It will smell pretty bad from the rotting potato. Discard the water and sludge. Wipe the chisel off and clean it up with a scotch bright. Re oil the chisel.

And let me know how it works... I've been wanting to try it.
Yeah, I'd try that with a LN chisel
Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 PM

L-N sells a little abrasive rubber block made by Klingspor. It works great. It is what all the demonstrators use to keep their demo units looking like they just came out of the factory.

I sell a polishing compound called DurSol. It is much less abrasive than the Klingspor block and has a chemical component that cleans discoloration as well as abrading.

Between the two, you can clean up about anything on a tool body.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Jayknoll,

I' try it with Eiji's Lie-Neilsen chisel. How else are we going to find out if it really works?

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...