talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Hand Tools

Hand Tools Hand tools, clamps, measuring, and all that other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Selecting a new Bench Chisel Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Hopefully this still falls in the realm of the thread..

Can someone explain the differences in chisels or is it just a naming?

bench vs mortising vs framing chisel

A bench chisel is a basically an all-rounder. It can be bevel edge or flat sided, butt (short) or longer. Essentially it is a more heavy duty version of a paring chisel, so that it may be hit with a hammer or pushed by hand.

The Stanley are an example of a bench chisel ..

A mortice chisel is - surprise - used to chop mortices. It is the most heavily built of all chisels, being deeper than wide as it is used to pry out chips ...

A framing chisel is also known as a slick. These are very large chisels, generally 3" wide.

Smaller framing chisels are known as firmer chisels. These are thick and square sided for strength ...

bevel vs dovetail chisel

A bevel chisel is simple a chisel with bevelled sides. If the sides are thick, then the chisel may be a bevelled firmer, or a bevelled bench chisel.

Dovetail chisels are typically thought of as bevelled, but the best of these have minimal shoulder left after the bevelling. My Blue Spruce blades ...

Is a paring chisel just an elongated bevel chisel?

No, a paring chisel is a chisel that not only has a long blade but the blade is thin, almost to the point of being flexible.

Under what conditions would you use a skew chisel that one of the above would not be ideal?

I use skew chisels when cleaning out the waste in dovetails, especially half-blind dovetails. They are able to reach into corners where a square ended chisel cannot go.

Cheers,

Shawn

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Derek, As usual...EXCELLENT!

I notice that the (4) bevel chisels in the picture just before the Blue Spruce chisel picture appear to have a convex grind??? Is that just the picture or are they ground convex for a reason?

(By the way, we are looking forward to your next detailed project posting.)

Last edited by RONWEN; 03-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks Ron

Regarding the BS chisels - yes, the sides are hollow ground.

Excellent dovetail/detail chisels!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

I agree, thanks Derek.

While providing some excellent information, you also proved my point. There are many different styles of chisels, and there can be many variations within those styles. The names for particular styles can vary, sometimes it's just a matter of tradition or geography.

Classifying them all correctly can be less than an exact science.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I agree, thanks Derek.

While providing some excellent information, you also proved my point. There are many different styles of chisels, and there can be many variations within those styles. The names for particular styles can vary, sometimes it's just a matter of tradition or geography.

Classifying them all correctly can be less than an exact science.
And then there are hand planes...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to BobMarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlarm View Post
I own and use chisels from Lie-Nielsen, (old) Stanley, (way older) Witherby, Blue Spruce, Ray Iles, and Barr. For some time now my working bench chisels have been the set of cabinetmaker's chisels made in Idaho by Barr Quarton. They're hand made with hammer and anvil and they're admittedly clunkier looking than the elegant (and fine) Blue Spruce bench chisels. But they're comfortable and well-balanced in the hand, they hold their edge extremely well (longer, in my own experience, than either LN or Blue Spruce), and their handles are as tough as nails. Pricewise, they're more expensive than LN, slightly less expensive than Blue Spruce. I know that they might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I've gotten so attached to them that when I make another pass at culling out redundant hand tools I plan on getting rid of the LN bench chisels. I've found it interesting that Barr chisels just never seem to come up in any of the chisel discussions around here, but I can assure you that they can run on as fast a track as any of the best chisels currently being made. My only niggle is that from time to time I wish that there was something narrower than 1/8". Anyway, for what it's worth . . .

Custom Woodworking Tools - Barr Specialty Tools - Hand Forged Woodworking Tools

I agree with you about the Barr chisels; they just don't seem to get mentioned in the same conversations about top quality chisels. This is just my opinion but I think that has to do with the fact that the handles are plain and basically unfinished, not the beautiful woods and finishes used for the the BS, LN's. Lightly sanded and basically unfinished wood is also not as comfortable in the hand. For better or worse, that "eye appeal" sells.
I sanded mine down and added a few coats of varnish; now they are more comfortable to use and look a bit better.
Bob
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarino View Post
I agree with you about the Barr chisels; they just don't seem to get mentioned in the same conversations about top quality chisels. This is just my opinion but I think that has to do with the fact that the handles are plain and basically unfinished, not the beautiful woods and finishes used for the the BS, LN's. Lightly sanded and basically unfinished wood is also not as comfortable in the hand. For better or worse, that "eye appeal" sells.
I sanded mine down and added a few coats of varnish; now they are more comfortable to use and look a bit better.
Bob
Dan,

Unfortunately unlike you and Uncle Bob I do not own any Barr chisels but I have had the opportunity to try them and they really are great tools. I do not know why they never seem to come to mind with me but once I buy a few I am sure the reminder might be easier.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

I notice that the (4) bevel chisels in the picture just before the Blue Spruce chisel picture appear to have a convex grind??? Is that just the picture or are they ground convex for a reason?

(By the way, we are looking forward to your next detailed project posting.)
Derek,

Great tutorial as usual but one chisel I also use with dovetails are my LN fishtail chisels. As the LN description will tell you they are great for cleaning up the back corners of half blind dovetails. I have found them to be really useful in all kinds of situations.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

By the by, if you like the LN chisels, then just wait around a bit. There are more coming. You'll likely see longer bevel chisels, paring chisels, and something else I don't remember right now......

Mike
Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
By the by, if you like the LN chisels, then just wait around a bit. There are more coming. You'll likely see longer bevel chisels, paring chisels, and something else I don't remember right now......

Mike
In fact, if you wait long enough, you're liable to see a bunch of products that you totally didn't expect to see at all